Film, Video The golden lily Lys d'or / Unidentified Gaumont
About this Item
- The golden lily
- Lys d'or
- Unidentified Gaumont
- A poor, elderly violinist takes refuge in a cathedral. When he plays his violin there, the Madonna appears before him and gives him a golden lily. He tries to sell the lily to a goldsmith, but the goldsmith and his wife doubt the violinist's story. They summon guards who bring him before the Holy Office. He is found guilty and is about to be taken away, but the inquisitor gives him a chance to prove his story by returning to the cathedral and playing his violin in the presence of all those assembled. The Madonna appears again and gives him another golden lily. The old man is saved and is carried through the streets as a hero.
- Perret, Léonce, 1880-1935, direction.
- Société des établissements Gaumont.
- George Kleine (Firm)
- AFI/Atkinson (Dennis) Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : George Kleine, 1910 ; United States : Southern Church Film Corporation.
- - Mary,--Blessed Virgin, Saint--Apparitions and miracles--Drama
- - Miracles--Drama
- - Inquisition--Drama
- - Violinists--Drama
- Religious films
- Trick films
- Short films
- Silent films
- Fiction films
- - Main title lacking. Identification from intertitles.
- - Four intertitles appearing at head of film are also placed correctly in body of film.
- - Original French film, Le lys d'or, released in France in 1910.
- - English language intertitled version reissued by Southern Church Film Corporation; date of reissue unknown.
- - LC has reissue copy.
- - Nitrate deterioration printed through at end of film.
- - MAVIS 24108; The golden lily.
- - Digital files viewed.
- - Sources used: Moving picture world, vol. 6, no. 6, Feb. 12, 1910, p. 225; AFI catalog, film beginnings, 1893-1910, p. 419; Gaumont, 90 ans de cinéma, p. 202; AFI STAR database record no. 41712.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Received: 1/29/1992 from LC film lab; viewing print; preservation; AFI/Atkinson (Dennis) Collection.
- - Received: 10/3/1991 from LC film lab; dupe neg pic; preservation; AFI/Atkinson (Dennis) Collection.
- 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 9 min., ca. 735 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. viewing print.
- 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 9 min., ca. 735 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. dupe neg pic.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FEC 1246 (viewing print)
- FPE 6088 (dupe neg pic)
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- Afi/Atkinson (Dennis) Collection (Library of Congress)
- George Kleine (Firm)
- Perret, Léonce
- Société Des Établissements Gaumont
Rights & Access
The materials in France in America are in the public domain or have no known copyright restrictions and are free to use and reuse.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, France in America.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Société Des Établissements Gaumont, George Kleine, and Afi/Atkinson. The Golden Lily. directeds by Perret, Léonce, Ection United States: George Kleine, ; United States: Southern Church Film Corporation, 1910. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/2006640753/.
APA citation style:
Société Des Établissements Gaumont, George Kleine & Afi/Atkinson. (1910) The Golden Lily. Perret, L., dir United States: George Kleine, ; United States: Southern Church Film Corporation. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2006640753/.
MLA citation style:
Société Des Établissements Gaumont, George Kleine, and Afi/Atkinson. The Golden Lily. dir by Perret, Léonce, Ection United States: George Kleine, ; United States: Southern Church Film Corporation, 1910. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2006640753/>.