Film, Video A little "Jules Verne" Petit Jules Verne
About this Item
- A little "Jules Verne"
- Other Title
- Petit Jules Verne
- A boy is put to bed by his mother, but when she leaves the room, he pulls out a book. Dropping off to sleep, he begins to dream. The wall behind him transforms into a screen, with a portrait of Jules Verne. The boy imagines the starry night sky, with comets shooting by. The gondola of a balloon parks outside his window. He climbs aboard, ascending over a skyline and harbor. Lightning strikes the balloon, and it drops into the ocean, with the boy swimming to the bottom. Various marine vegetation and jellyfish turn into sea maidens. Dancers salute an undersea goddess, showering her with sand. Caught by a giant squid, the boy fights with it for his life, and awakens to his mother's scolding. Instead of a squid, he has actually been fighting his pillow, and he has shaken its feather contents all over his bed and room. His mother angrily picks up the book, unsurprised at the source of his dreams, and puts the apologetic and happy child to bed.
- Contributor Names
- Pathé frères (France)
- Pathé Frères (U.S.)
- AFI/Baker (Glenn L.) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : Pathé Frères, 1907.
- Subject Headings
- - Verne, Jules,--1828-1905--Influence--Drama
- - Children's dreams--Drama
- Fantasy films
- Fiction films
- Short films
- Trick films
- - English title from film and AFI STAR database record no. 7726.
- - French title, Un petit Jules Verne, per Catalogue Pathé des années 1896 à 1914, 1907 à 1909, p. 44; AFI STAR database record no. 7726.
- - The original nitrate had some hand-coloring.
- - There is a brief color scene. When lightning strikes the balloon, the resulting fire is in color.
- - Pathé no. 1940.
- - MAVIS 7361; A little "Jules Verne"
- - The digital file and the Betacam SP were made from a 3/4 in. videocassette (VBO 3864) that includes two films. A little "Jules Verne," from the AFI/Baker (Glenn L.) Collection, is followed by La poule aux œufs d'or. Part 4, Le châtiment de l'avare apothéose, from the AFI/Vermont Historical Society Collection.
- - Interneg (CPA 0139) is a fragment which was copied a second time at a different exposure than in the full-length interneg (CPA 0138).
- - Digital files viewed.
- - Sources used: American Film Institute online catalog, Oct. 25, 2006; Catalogue Pathé des années 1896 à 1914, 1907 à 1909, p. 44; AFI STAR database record no. 7726.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Received: 12/14/1995 from LC video lab; viewing copy; preservation; AFI/Baker (Glenn L.) Collection.
- - Received: 1/14/1991 from Film Technology Lab; theatrical projection print and internegs; gift, ATM 167; AFI/Baker (Glenn L.) Collection.
- - Received: 1/24/2007 from VidiPax; master; preservation; AFI/Baker (Glenn L.) Collection.
- 1 videocassette of 1 (ca. 7 min.) : si., b&w with col. ; 3/4 in. viewing copy.
- 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 7 min., ca. 485 ft.) : si., b&w with col. ; 35 mm. theatrical projection print.
- 1 videocassette of 1 (Betacam SP) (ca. 7 min.) : si., b&w with col. ; 1/2 in. master.
- 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 7 min., ca. 485 ft.) : si., b&w with col. ; 35 mm. interneg.
- 1 film reel (inc.) (ca. 1 min., ca. 60 ft.) : si., b&w with col. ; 35 mm. interneg.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- VBO 3864 (viewing copy)
- CPA 1397 (theatrical projection print)
- VRA 1855 (master)
- CPA 0138 (interneg)
- CPA 0139 (interneg)
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- Beset by remorse, a man is about to slaughter a hen when the devil appears. When he takes his knife to the hen, an egg appears. It turns into a witch, casting a spell which causes the man to wake surrounded by giant hens laying giant eggs big enough for women to emerge from. Some of the women dance. The devil appears inset in an egg, regurgitating gold coins. The dancers go to the man's hut, rearrange some items, then adjourn to fairyland. Dancing there causes more eggs to appear, these the size of potatoes, which are placed in his hut.
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
ContributorsAfi/Baker (Glenn L.) Collection (Library of Congress)
Afi/Vermont Historical Society Collection (Library of Congress)
Chomón, Segundo De
La Fontaine, Jean De
Pathé Frères (France)
Pathé Frères (U.S.)
S. Lubin (Firm : Philadelphia, Pa.)
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Pathé Frères, U.S Pathé Frères, and Afi/Baker. A little "Jules Verne". United States: Pathé Frères, 1907. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2006641952/. (Accessed August 22, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Pathé Frères, Pathé Frères, U. S. & Afi/Baker. (1907) A little "Jules Verne". United States: Pathé Frères. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2006641952/.
MLA citation style:
Pathé Frères, U.S Pathé Frères, and Afi/Baker. A little "Jules Verne". United States: Pathé Frères, 1907. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/2006641952/>.