Photo, Print, Drawing The letter / Mary Cassett ; MC [monogram].
About this Item
- The letter / Mary Cassett ; MC [monogram].
- Print shows a woman seated at a drop leaf desk licking an envelope for a letter.
- Contributor Names
- Cassatt, Mary, 1844-1926, artist
- Created / Published
- [1890 or 1891]
- Subject Headings
- - Women--1890-1900
- - Correspondence--1890-1900
- Intaglio prints--Color--1890-1900.
- - Title from item.
- - Signed in pencil on lower right, below plate.
- - Signed with artist's monogram stamp on bottom center of plate.
- - Inscribed in pencil on lower right corner: Imprimée par l'artiste et M. Leroy.
- - Inscribed in pencil on bottom center: (25 epreuves).
- - Breeskin, 146
- - American prints in the Library of Congress : a catalog of the collection / compiled by Karen F. Beall... Baltimore : Johns Hopkins Press, 1970, p. 99
- - Purchase; Pennell fund; (DLC/PP-1942:0060.6)
- - Forms part of: Fine print filing series (Library of Congress).
- - Exhibited: "Mary Cassatt Retrospective" at the Yokohama Museum of Art, Yokohama, Japan, June - September 2016.
- 1 print : color drypoint and aquatint on laid paper ; plate 34.6 x 22.5 cm, on sheet 48 x 31 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FP - XIX - C343, no. 146 (B size) [P&P]
- Source Collection
- Fine print filing series (Library of Congress)
- Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print
- Digital Id
- ppmsca 10483 //hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ppmsca.10483
- cph 3b52885 //hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3b52885
- cph 3b25286 //hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3b25286
- cph 3b49592 //hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3b49592
- cph 3m00166 //hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3m00166
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Reproduction Number
- LC-DIG-ppmsca-10483 (digital file from original print) LC-USZC4-1380 (color film copy transparency) LC-USZ62-78176 (b&w film copy neg.) LC-USZC2-1692 (color film copy slide) LC-USZ72-166 (b&w film copy neg.)
- Rights Advisory
- No known restrictions on publication.
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
The Library of Congress does not own rights to material in its collections. Therefore, it does not license or charge permission fees for use of such material and cannot grant or deny permission to publish or otherwise distribute the material.
Ultimately, it is the researcher's obligation to assess copyright or other use restrictions and obtain permission from third parties when necessary before publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the Library's collections.
For information about reproducing, publishing, and citing material from this collection, as well as access to the original items, see: Fine Print Collection - Rights and Restrictions Information
- Rights Advisory: No known restrictions on publication.
- Reproduction Number: LC-DIG-ppmsca-10483 (digital file from original print) LC-USZC4-1380 (color film copy transparency) LC-USZ62-78176 (b&w film copy neg.) LC-USZC2-1692 (color film copy slide) LC-USZ72-166 (b&w film copy neg.)
- Call Number: FP - XIX - C343, no. 146 (B size) [P&P]
- Access Advisory: ---
If an image is displaying, you can download it yourself. (Some images display only as thumbnails outside the Library of Congress because of rights considerations, but you have access to larger size images on site.)
Alternatively, you can purchase copies of various types through Library of Congress Duplication Services.
- If a digital image is displaying: The qualities of the digital image partially depend on whether it was made from the original or an intermediate such as a copy negative or transparency. If the Reproduction Number field above includes a reproduction number that starts with LC-DIG..., then there is a digital image that was made directly from the original and is of sufficient resolution for most publication purposes.
If there is information listed in the Reproduction Number field above:
You can use the reproduction number to purchase a copy from Duplication Services. It will be
made from the source listed in the parentheses after the number.
If only black-and-white ("b&w") sources are listed and you desire a copy showing color or tint (assuming the original has any), you can generally purchase a quality copy of the original in color by citing the Call Number listed above and including the catalog record ("About This Item") with your request.
- If there is no information listed in the Reproduction Number field above: You can generally purchase a quality copy through Duplication Services. Cite the Call Number listed above and include the catalog record ("About This Item") with your request.
Price lists, contact information, and order forms are available on the Duplication Services Web site.
Access to Originals
Please use the following steps to determine whether you need to fill out a call slip in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room to view the original item(s). In some cases, a surrogate (substitute image) is available, often in the form of a digital image, a copy print, or microfilm.
Is the item digitized? (A thumbnail (small) image will be visible on the left.)
Yes, the item is digitized.
Please use the digital image in preference to requesting the original. All images can be
viewed at a large size when you are in any reading room at the Library of Congress. In some
cases, only thumbnail (small) images are available when you are outside the Library of
Congress because the item is rights restricted or has not been evaluated for rights
As a preservation measure, we generally do not serve an original item when a digital image is available. If you have a compelling reason to see the original, consult with a reference librarian. (Sometimes, the original is simply too fragile to serve. For example, glass and film photographic negatives are particularly subject to damage. They are also easier to see online where they are presented as positive images.)
- No, the item is not digitized. Please go to #2.
- Yes, the item is digitized. Please use the digital image in preference to requesting the original. All images can be viewed at a large size when you are in any reading room at the Library of Congress. In some cases, only thumbnail (small) images are available when you are outside the Library of Congress because the item is rights restricted or has not been evaluated for rights restrictions.
Do the Access Advisory or Call Number fields above indicate that a non-digital surrogate exists, such as microfilm or copy prints?
- Yes, another surrogate exists. Reference staff can direct you to this surrogate.
- No, another surrogate does not exist. Please go to #3.
- If you do not see a thumbnail image or a reference to another surrogate, please fill out a call slip in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room. In many cases, the originals can be served in a few minutes. Other materials require appointments for later the same day or in the future. Reference staff can advise you in both how to fill out a call slip and when the item can be served.
To contact Reference staff in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room, please use our Ask A Librarian service or call the reading room between 8:30 and 5:00 at 202-707-6394, and Press 3.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Cassatt, Mary, Artist. The letter / Mary Cassett ; MC monogram. , 1890. [or 1891] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2006676026/.
APA citation style:
Cassatt, M. (1890) The letter / Mary Cassett ; MC monogram. , 1890. [or 1891] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2006676026/.
MLA citation style:
Cassatt, Mary, Artist. The letter / Mary Cassett ; MC monogram. [or 1891] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2006676026/>.
More Photos, Prints, Drawings like this
Photo, Print, Drawing[Mrs. Cassatt knitting, profile view] 1 print : soft-ground etching and aquatint ; plate 14.5 x 11 cm, on sheet 21 x 16.4 cm.
- Contributor: Cassatt, Mary
- Date: 1883
Photo, Print, DrawingTrio 1 print : etching and aquatint. | Seated woman with two standing men.
- Contributor: Lacy, Ernest
- Date: 1958
Photo, Print, Drawing#14 from "Camera Vision" 1 print : intaglio.
- Contributor: Fausty, Edward A.
- Date: 1993
Photo, Print, DrawingMaternal caress 1 print : color drypoint, soft-ground etching, and aquatint ; plate 36.7 x 26.9 cm, on sheet 43.4 x 31.3 cm.
- Contributor: Cassatt, Mary
- Date: 1891
Photo, Print, DrawingWomen, power, poverty and love series 1 print : intaglio, color.
- Contributor: Ringgold, Faith
- Date: 1984