Manuscript/Mixed Material King Philip II grant of arms,
About this Item
- King Philip II grant of arms,
- Illuminated grant of arms (1 p., accompanied by 19 p. of text with endorsements) conferring nobility on Alonso de Mesa and Hernando de Mesa in recognition of their service to the Crown. Signed "Yo el Rey." Illumination is multi-colored/gilt (12 1/4 in. x 8 1/2 in.) depicting Madonna and child, cornucopia, bird, butterfly, flowers, cherubs, and mounted knight in-arms with sword and herald.
- Contributor Names
- Philip II, King of Spain, 1527-1598.
- Jay I. Kislak Collection (Library of Congress)
- Subject Headings
- - Mesa, Alonso de,--active 1566
- - Mesa, Hernando de,--active 1566
- - Heraldry--Spain
- - Nobility--Spain--Heraldry
- Illuminated manuscripts
- - King of Spain.
- - In Spanish.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- - Provenance: Gift of Jay I. Kislak Foundation.
- - NUCMC/kislak
- - NUCMC/vm01
- - Kislak accession no.: 1991.345.00.0003
- 1 item.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- Kislak MS 1014
- Library of Congress Rare Book and Special Collections Division Jay I. Kislak Collection dcu (Acc. 1991.345.00.0003)
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Access Advisory
- Collection open for research.
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Rights & Access
The contents of the Library of Congress Jay I. Kislak Collection are in the public domain and are free to use and reuse. The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
The Kislak Collection is open to research. Because many of the items in the collection are on exhibit in the Library of Congress’ galleries, researchers are advised to contact the Geography and Map Division and/or the Rare Book and Special Collections Division prior to visiting in order to determine whether the desired materials will be available at that time.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Jay I. Kislak Collection.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Philip Ii, King Of Spain, and Jay I. Kislak Collection. King Philip II grant of arms. 1566. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/2007574385/.
APA citation style:
Philip Ii, K. O. S. & Jay I. Kislak Collection. (1566) King Philip II grant of arms. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2007574385/.
MLA citation style:
Philip Ii, King Of Spain, and Jay I. Kislak Collection. King Philip II grant of arms. 1566. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2007574385/>.
More Manuscripts/Mixed Material like this
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialPhilip II letter, ALS, written in Madrid, to Pedro Moya de Contreras, Archbishop of Mexico. Philip II complains to the Archbishop of Mexico City about his practice of appointing monolingual priests to Indian benefices. Philip...
- Contributor: Jay I. Kislak Collection (Library of Congress) - Eraso, Antonio De. - Philip II
- Date: 1578
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialBartolomé de las Casas statement of opinion,
Parecer de fray br.me delas Casas | Parecer de fray Bartolomé de las Casas | Memorial de remedios | Letter of Bartolomé de Las Casas (1474-1566) to the Holy Roman Emperor Charles (1500-1558) Statement of opinion (AMs) drafted in Spain for Charles V for presentation to the Council of the Indies. "In the four sections of the document, Las Casas reminded the junta of the...
- Contributor: H.P. Kraus (Firm) - Berendt, C. Hermann (Carl Hermann) - Phillipps, Thomas - Casas, Bartolomé De Las - Gayangos, Pascual De - Jay I. Kislak Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1542
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialThomas Jefferson letter, Letter (ALS), written from Monticello, to the Marquis de Lafayette. Topics include sheep industry and the manufacture of cloth in the United States as opposed to England ("our progress in manufactures is...
- Contributor: Jefferson, Thomas - Jay I. Kislak Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1813
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialHernán Cortés power of attorney, Power of attorney (DS) appointing agents to act in his interest in a residencia hearing ordered by King Charles as an investigation into his administration. Written at Tenustitlan (Tenochtitlan), Mexico.
- Contributor: Jay I. Kislak Collection (Library of Congress) - Cortés, Hernán
- Date: 1526
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialPedro Menéndez de Avilés sailing order, In the age of piracy on the high seas, sailing instructions were top-secret documents upon which rested the security of the king's fleet and his treasure. Here, Menéndez de Avilés, governor of...
- Contributor: Jay I. Kislak Collection (Library of Congress) - Riviere & Son - Menéndez De Avilés, Pedro
- Date: 1572