Maps [Map and views illustrating Sir Francis Drake's West Indian voyage, 1585-6].
About this Item
- [Map and views illustrating Sir Francis Drake's West Indian voyage, 1585-6].
- Contributor Names
- Boazio, Baptista.
- Bigges, Walter, -1586.
- Croftes, Lieutenant.
- Jay I. Kislak Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- [London? : s.n., 1589]
- The famouse West Indian voyadge made by the Englishe fleete of 23 shippes and barkes wherein weare gotten the townes of St. Iago, Sto. Domingo, Cartagena, and S. Augustines the same being begon from Plimmouth in the Moneth of September 1585 and ended at Portesmouthe in Iulie 1586 the whole course of the saide viadge beinge plainlie described by the pricked line / newlie come forth by Baptista B[oazio] -- Hoc opidum divi Jacobi eo nomine quo insula vocatr. et comercium habet cum Guynea et adiunctis regionibus Affricae unde merces in Lusitaniam deuehunt -- Civitas S. Dominici sita in Hispaniola Indica Angliae magnitudine fere aequlais ipsa urbs elegantor ab Hispanis extructa, et omnibus circumvicinis insulis iura dat -- Civitas Carthagena in Indiae occidentalis continente sita, portu commodissimo, ad mercaturam inter Hispaniam et Peru exercendam -- Opidum S. Augustini ligneis aedibus constructum, amoenissimos hortos utiq. solo soecundissimo anobis verso cum inde solveremos iniecto igne incineres redactum Praesidium hic erat 150 Hispaniorum aluidq. [sic] item eodem numero ad duodecim Septentrionem versus Louccs [sic] in loco S. Helenae dicto. haec enie praesidia quemadmodum canes inprieseps noncilio consilio disposita erant nisi ad prohibendos Anglos ut Gallos ne interiectam regionem quae prorsus inculta iacet e occuparent.
- Subject Headings
- - Drake, Francis,--1540?-1596--Travel--West Indies
- - West Indies Expedition, 1585-1586
- - Western Hemisphere--Discovery and exploration--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - São Tiago Island (Cabo Verde)--Aerial views--Early works to 1800
- - Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic)--Aerial views--Early works to 1800
- - Cartagena (Colombia)--Aerial views--Early works to 1800
- - Saint Augustine (Fla.)--Aerial views--Early works to 1800
- - Great Britain--History, Naval--Tudors, 1485-1603--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Western Hemisphere
- - Cabo Verde--São Tiago Island
- - Dominican Republic--Santo Dominigo
- - United States--Florida--Saint Augustine
- - Colombia--Cartagena
- - The first engraving is a map of Drake's voyage [showing Europe, western Africa, northern South America, and eastern North America]; the four other engravings consist of bird's-eye battle plan views of the cities of Santiago, Santo Domingo, Cartagena, and St. Augustine, Florida.
- - 4 bird's-eye views and 1 map.
- - Relief shown pictorially on bird's-eye views.
- - Voyage map in English; city maps in Latin.
- - Title supplied by cataloger.
- - Map and views created to illustrate Bigges' and Croftes' Summarie and true discourse of Sir Frances Drake's West Indian voyage, 1589.
- - Provenance: Gift of Jay I. Kislak Foundation.
- - Orientation varies.
- - Kraus, H.P. Sir Francis Drake, p. 121-7
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Includes hand col. ill.
- - Select features alphabetically indexed on bird's-eye views, views not accompanied by index key.
- - "The verso of each sheet is numbered in ink in an identical early hand "1 [through] 5" in the following sequence: 1. 'Voyadge', 2. S. Domingo, 3. Cartagena, 4. S. Augustine, 5. Santiago."--Auction catalog.
- - All sheets vertically fold-lined at center.
- - Kislak accession no. 1991.322.01.0003
- - Kislak accession no. 1991.322.02.0003
- - Kislak accession no. 1991.322.03.0003
- - Kislak accession no. 1991.322.04.0003
- - Kislak accession no. 1991.322.05.0003
- 1 map and 4 views : hand col. ; 41 x 54 cm. or smaller, on sheets ca. 51 x 64 cm. or smaller.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3291.S12 s000 .B6
- Library of Congress Rare Book and Special Collections Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- online text
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Jay I. Kislak Collection (library of Congress)
São Tiago Island
Discovery and Exploration
Early Works to 1800
Saint Augustine (fla.)
Santo Domingo (dominican Republic)
São Tiago Island
São Tiago Island (cabo Verde)
West Indies Expedition
Articles and Essays with this item:
- Evaluation - Drake's West Indian Voyage 1588 to 1589 - Lesson Plan
- Overview - Drake's West Indian Voyage 1588 to 1589 - Lesson Plan
- Procedure - Drake's West Indian Voyage 1588 to 1589 - Lesson Plan
- Preparation - Drake's West Indian Voyage 1588 to 1589 - Lesson Plan
- The Jay I. Kislak Collection (Rare Book and Special Collections Reading Room, Library of Congress)
- 1553 to 1599 - Thomas Jefferson Papers, 1606 to 1827 - Digital Collections
- Exploring the Early Americas - 2010 - Past Events - News and Events
- Competition for Empire - Exploring the Early Americas
- Exploration and Discovery - Zoom Into Maps- Classroom Presentation
- Reason Gallery B - American Treasures of the Library of Congress
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Boazio, Baptista, Walter Bigges, Lieutenant Croftes, and Jay I. Kislak Collection. [Map and views illustrating Sir Francis Drake's West Indian voyage, 1585-6]. [London?: s.n, 1585] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2007626708/. (Accessed October 22, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Boazio, B., Bigges, W., Croftes, L. & Jay I. Kislak Collection. (1585) [Map and views illustrating Sir Francis Drake's West Indian voyage, 1585-6]. [London?: s.n] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2007626708/.
MLA citation style:
Boazio, Baptista, et al. [Map and views illustrating Sir Francis Drake's West Indian voyage, 1585-6]. [London?: s.n, 1585] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/2007626708/>.