Maps Lord Cornwallis surrender, 1781.
About this Item
- Lord Cornwallis surrender, 1781.
- Contributor Names
- Crosby, E.
- Downae, James.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Cornwallis, Charles Cornwallis,--Marquis,--1738-1805
- - Moore House (Yorktown, Va.)
- - Yorktown (Va.)--History--Siege, 1781--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
- - Powder flasks--Early works to 1800
- - United States--Virginia--Yorktown
- - Shows Yorktown Virginia and the York River on conical powder horn.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - Manuscript: Engraved bovine horn, shellacked.
- - Has wooden pouring spout inserted at narrow end and wooden hinged cap inserted at wide end.
- - Inscriptions: James Downae his horn, made by E. Crosby - 1781, A: Bowery, A: Lion, The: Elem Tree, and Mare Maid at: Sea.
- - Includes pictorial represenations of the Moore House and gardens where Cornwallis's surrender took place, several vessels, a conventional flowering vine, and a school of fish.
- - A listing of this horn is in "American Engraved Powder Horns", N.Y., no. 285, 1945, p. 51.
- - Housed on wooden base covered by clear plastic box casement screwed-on to base at bottom.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- 1 map on powder horn : ms., bovine horn, wood ; 35 cm. long, 9 cm. diam.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3884.Y6S3 1781 .C7
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
SubjectsCornwallis, Charles Cornwallis
Early Works to 1800
Moore House (Yorktown, Va.)
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Crosby, E, and James Downae. Lord Cornwallis surrender, 1781. 1781. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2007632271/. (Accessed February 26, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Crosby, E. & Downae, J. (1781) Lord Cornwallis surrender, 1781. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2007632271/.
MLA citation style:
Crosby, E, and James Downae. Lord Cornwallis surrender, 1781. 1781. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/2007632271/>.