Photo, Print, Drawing No movie tonight, 24 hours at a B-29 field / pictures and text by Jack Delano. No movie tonite
Full online access to this resource is only available at the Library of Congress.
About this Item
- No movie tonight, 24 hours at a B-29 field / pictures and text by Jack Delano.
- No movie tonite
- Photographs (without captions) show military personnel and aircraft at an American B-29 base in Guam during World War II. Includes the activities of ground and air crews before and after bombing missions over Uwajima, Japan, July 13 1945. Accompanying text describes the preparation for the bombing raids, the tensions the men experience while they wait for the B-29's return from their mission, and the activities of the flight crews upon return to base. The title, "No movie tonight" was taken from a sign posted on the base indicating there would be a bombing raid that night, hence no movie would be shown for the entertainment of the soldiers. There is a photo of the sign in the album. One map, captioned "The mission of 13 July, 1945" identifies Japanese cities targeted for bombing missions by American forces stationed in the Mariana Islands.
- Delano, Jack, 1914-1997, photographer
Created / Published
- [1945 ]
- - United States.--Army Air Forces--People--Guam
- - World War, 1939-1945--Military life--American--Guam
- - World War, 1939-1945--Air operations--American--Japan
- - Air warfare--1940-1950
- - Air bases--American--Guam--1940-1950
- - Bombers--American--Guam--1940-1950
- Gelatin silver prints--1940-1950.
- Group portraits--1940-1950.
- Portrait photographs--1940-1950.
- Gelatin silver prints--1940-1950
- Portrait photographs--1940-1950
- Group portraits--1940-1950
- - Photographs are various sizes. The largest measure 27 x 34 cm, the smallest measure 7.5 x 5 cm.
- - Delano produced this unique photo book while stationed in Guam waiting for his discharge papers from the Army. It was not commissioned by the Army or any other official organization. The negatives were later lost (this information from Jack Delano's son Pablo).
- - Title from album page .
- - Album pages, originally spiral bound, are now unbound. Page numbering has been assigned by LC staff and may not reflect Delano's original sequence. One small portrait photograph of a "gunner" is lacking, [pg. __].
- - Purchase; Pablo Delano; 2006; (DLC/PP-2006:089).
- 1 album (57 photographic prints, 4 leaves of text, 1 map) ; 27 x 34 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- LOT 13832 (H) [P&P]
- Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA
- ppmsca 13572 https://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ppmsca.13572
Library of Congress Control Number
- LC-DIG-ppmsca-13572 (digital files from original album)
- Publication restricted. Written permission required.
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress generally does not own rights to material in its collections and, therefore, cannot grant or deny permission to publish or otherwise distribute the material. For information about assessing rights, see the Rights and Restrictions Information page.
- Rights Advisory: Publication restricted. Written permission required.
- Reproduction Number: LC-DIG-ppmsca-13572 (digital files from original album)
- Call Number: LOT 13832 (H) [P&P]
- Access Advisory: ---
If an image is displaying, you can download it yourself. (Some images display only as thumbnails outside the Library of Congress because of rights considerations, but you have access to larger size images on site.)
Alternatively, you can purchase copies of various types through Library of Congress Duplication Services.
- If a digital image is displaying: The qualities of the digital image partially depend on whether it was made from the original or an intermediate such as a copy negative or transparency. If the Reproduction Number field above includes a reproduction number that starts with LC-DIG..., then there is a digital image that was made directly from the original and is of sufficient resolution for most publication purposes.
If there is information listed in the Reproduction Number field above:
You can use the reproduction number to purchase a copy from Duplication Services. It will be
made from the source listed in the parentheses after the number.
If only black-and-white ("b&w") sources are listed and you desire a copy showing color or tint (assuming the original has any), you can generally purchase a quality copy of the original in color by citing the Call Number listed above and including the catalog record ("About This Item") with your request.
- If there is no information listed in the Reproduction Number field above: You can generally purchase a quality copy through Duplication Services. Cite the Call Number listed above and include the catalog record ("About This Item") with your request.
Price lists, contact information, and order forms are available on the Duplication Services Web site.
Access to Originals
Please use the following steps to determine whether you need to fill out a call slip in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room to view the original item(s). In some cases, a surrogate (substitute image) is available, often in the form of a digital image, a copy print, or microfilm.
Is the item digitized? (A thumbnail (small) image will be visible on the left.)
Yes, the item is digitized.
Please use the digital image in preference to requesting the original. All images can be
viewed at a large size when you are in any reading room at the Library of Congress. In some
cases, only thumbnail (small) images are available when you are outside the Library of
Congress because the item is rights restricted or has not been evaluated for rights
As a preservation measure, we generally do not serve an original item when a digital image is available. If you have a compelling reason to see the original, consult with a reference librarian. (Sometimes, the original is simply too fragile to serve. For example, glass and film photographic negatives are particularly subject to damage. They are also easier to see online where they are presented as positive images.)
- No, the item is not digitized. Please go to #2.
- Yes, the item is digitized. Please use the digital image in preference to requesting the original. All images can be viewed at a large size when you are in any reading room at the Library of Congress. In some cases, only thumbnail (small) images are available when you are outside the Library of Congress because the item is rights restricted or has not been evaluated for rights restrictions.
Do the Access Advisory or Call Number fields above indicate that a non-digital surrogate exists, such as microfilm or copy prints?
- Yes, another surrogate exists. Reference staff can direct you to this surrogate.
- No, another surrogate does not exist. Please go to #3.
- If you do not see a thumbnail image or a reference to another surrogate, please fill out a call slip in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room. In many cases, the originals can be served in a few minutes. Other materials require appointments for later the same day or in the future. Reference staff can advise you in both how to fill out a call slip and when the item can be served.
To contact Reference staff in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room, please use our Ask A Librarian service or call the reading room between 8:30 and 5:00 at 202-707-6394, and Press 3.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Delano, Jack, photographer. No movie tonight, 24 hours at a B-29 field / pictures and text by Jack Delano. Japan Guam, 1945. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2007677400/.
APA citation style:
Delano, J., photographer. (1945) No movie tonight, 24 hours at a B-29 field / pictures and text by Jack Delano. Japan Guam, 1945. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2007677400/.
MLA citation style:
Delano, Jack, photographer. No movie tonight, 24 hours at a B-29 field / pictures and text by Jack Delano. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2007677400/>.