Photos, Prints, Drawings Photographs of members of the American Colony (Jerusalem) and Middle East locations
About this Item
- Photographs of members of the American Colony (Jerusalem) and Middle East locations
- Photographs show members of the American Colony (Jerusalem) and scenes in Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Damascus, and other locations. Photographs include: American Colony members dressed in costumes, a wedding, Spafford Whiting sitting with Bedouins in a tent, portrait of Bertha Vester, John Whiting, and Grace Whiting (1951); King David Hotel (Jerusalem), Bedouins, Dome of the Rock, Solomon's Quarries, Dr. Shick's model of Herod's Temple, Church of the Nativity, Bethlehem; Arab man driving car with gas tanks on running board, a library possibly at the Rockefeller Museum, Jerusalem; Arab shops closed during protest against Balfour decloration, Jewish man in Old City during 1938 siege of Jerusalem, child riding on camel, Bedouins meeting inside a tent, a "junkman's" shop in Damascus, and crushing olives with fragment of ancient column at Beit Jibrin.
- Contributor Names
- Whiting, John D. (John David), 1882-1951, photographer
- American Colony (Jerusalem). Photo Department, photographer
- Created / Published
- [between 1930 and 1951]
- Subject Headings
- - Whiting, John D.--(John David),--1882-1951
- - Whiting, Grace Spafford
- - Whiting, Spafford
- - Vester, Bertha Spafford,--1878-1968
- - American Colony (Jerusalem)--People--1930-1960
- - Pageants--Jerusalem--1930-1960
- - Weddings--Middle East--1930-1960
- - Hotels--Jerusalem--1930-1960
- - Bedouins--Middle East--1930-1960
- - Mosques--Jerusalem--1930-1960
- - Caves--Jerusalem--1930-1960
- - Churches--West Bank--Bethlehem--1930-1960
- - Building models--1930-1960
- - Libraries--Palestine--1930-1960
- Format Headings
- Gelatin silver prints--1930-1960.
- Photograph albums--1930-1960.
- Photograph albums--1930-1960
- Gelatin silver prints--1930-1960
- - Some photographs were created by the photographers of the American Colony Photo Department, located in Jerusalem. Founded in the late 1890s by Elijah Meyers, the photo agency was headed during its heyday (ca. 1903-1933) by Lewis Larsson, whose staff photographers included Erik Lind, Lars Lind, Furman Baldwin, and G. Eric Matson. It transitioned into the Matson Photo Service around 1940, with photography by Matson, Hanna Safieh, Joseph H. Giries, and others. John D. Whiting, contributed periodically to the work of both agencies. For more information see: http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.matpc and http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/coll/629_whiting.html.
- - LOT title devised by Library staff.
- - Album unpaginated, album page numbers supplied by Library staff.
- - Photographs removed from deteriorating album pages and put into top loaders (10/2007).
- - Notation on back of group portrait: "Bertha Vester, John Whiting, Grace Whiting, ca. Sept. 1951. This is the last picture taken of John by Dr. Lambie."
- - Various notes stamped on back of photographs: The Matson Photo Service, Jerusalem, Palestine; American Colony Photo Department, Jerusalem, Palestine; Palestine Department of Antiquities; and John D. Whiting, Jerusalem.
- - John D. Whiting's diaries, correspondence, and other materials are located in the Library of Congress Manuscript Division (Papers of John D. Whiting).
- - Forms part of: Visual materials from the papers of John D. Whiting.
- - Transfer; Manuscript Division; 2006; (DLC/PP-2006:051:26)
- 1 album (20 gelatin silver prints) ; 28 x 30 cm. (album)
- Call Number/Physical Location
- LOT 13851 (H) [P&P]
- Source Collection
- Visual materials from the papers of John D. Whiting
- Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Rights Advisory
- No known restrictions on publication.
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
FormatPhotos, Prints, Drawings
ContributorsAmerican Colony (jerusalem). Photo Department
Whiting, John D. (john David)
American Colony (jerusalem)
Gelatin Silver Prints
Vester, Bertha Spafford
Whiting, Grace Spafford
Whiting, John D.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress generally does not own rights to material in its collections and, therefore, cannot grant or deny permission to publish or otherwise distribute the material. For information about assessing rights, see the Rights and Restrictions Information page.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
- Rights Advisory: No known restrictions on publication.
- Reproduction Number: ---
- Call Number: LOT 13851 (H) [P&P]
- Access Advisory: ---
Generally, catalog records for Groups of Images in High Demand describe multiple items, from which a selection must be made. The individual items in the group may or may not be represented online.
Access to Originals
Please use the following steps to determine whether you need to fill out a call slip in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room to view the original item(s). In some cases, a surrogate (substitute image) is available, often in the form of a digital image, a copy print, or microfilm.
Is the item digitized? (A thumbnail (small) image will be visible on the left.)
Yes, the item is digitized.
Please use the digital image in preference to requesting the original. All images can be
viewed at a large size when you are in any reading room at the Library of Congress. In some
cases, only thumbnail (small) images are available when you are outside the Library of
Congress because the item is rights restricted or has not been evaluated for rights
As a preservation measure, we generally do not serve an original item when a digital image is available. If you have a compelling reason to see the original, consult with a reference librarian. (Sometimes, the original is simply too fragile to serve. For example, glass and film photographic negatives are particularly subject to damage. They are also easier to see online where they are presented as positive images.)
- No, the item is not digitized. Please go to #2.
- Yes, the item is digitized. Please use the digital image in preference to requesting the original. All images can be viewed at a large size when you are in any reading room at the Library of Congress. In some cases, only thumbnail (small) images are available when you are outside the Library of Congress because the item is rights restricted or has not been evaluated for rights restrictions.
Do the Access Advisory or Call Number fields above indicate that a non-digital surrogate exists, such as microfilm or copy prints?
- Yes, another surrogate exists. Reference staff can direct you to this surrogate.
- No, another surrogate does not exist. Please go to #3.
- If you do not see a thumbnail image or a reference to another surrogate, please fill out a call slip in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room. In many cases, the originals can be served in a few minutes. Other materials require appointments for later the same day or in the future. Reference staff can advise you in both how to fill out a call slip and when the item can be served.
To contact Reference staff in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room, please use our Ask A Librarian service or call the reading room between 8:30 and 5:00 at 202-707-6394, and Press 3.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Whiting, John D, and American Colony . Photo Department, photographer. Photographs of members of the American Colony Jerusalem and Middle East locations. [Between 1930 and 1951] Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2007682823/. (Accessed September 25, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Whiting, J. D. & American Colony . Photo Department, photographer. Photographs of members of the American Colony Jerusalem and Middle East locations. [Between 1930 and 1951] [Image] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2007682823/.
MLA citation style:
Whiting, John D, and American Colony . Photo Department, photographer. Photographs of members of the American Colony Jerusalem and Middle East locations. [Between 1930 and 1951] Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/2007682823/>.