Manuscript/Mixed Material al-Dustūr / / الدستور /
About this Item
- الدستور /
- Little is known about the author of this treatise on medical remedies, Nağīb al-Dīn Al-Samarqandī, apart from the fact that he was killed during the pillage of Herat (present-day Afghanistan) by the Mongols in 1222. His premature death notwithstanding, al-Samarqandī composed an impressive number of medical treatises dealing with pharmacology, dietetics, toxicology, and ophthalmology, and books on medicine in general. Al-Samarqandī showed a degree of modernity and independent thinking in his treatment of pathology. He appeared to set aside the theory of the four humors of the body dating back to ancient Greek medicine and adopted a more pragmatic approach to therapeutics, one that considered medicine and pharmacology in a broader and more empirical sense. This treatise opens with an investigation of the 15 causes that can make a remedy more or less effective and continues with a systematic description of simple and composite remedies for different kinds of illnesses. Each of the 19 chapters is devoted to a particular remedy, starting with syrups and drinkable medicines and moving on to describe the medical use of remedies found in nature or that can be prepared by the physician. World Digital Library.
- Manual on pharmaceutics, including composition, preparation and use of medicines.
- Najīb al-Dīn al-Samarqandī, Muḥammad ibn ʻAlī, -1222
Created / Published
- 920 H [1514 M]
- - Manuscripts, Arabic--Washington (D.C.)
- - Medicine, Arab--Formulae, receipts, prescriptions
- - Pharmacology--Early works to 1800
- - Binding: new leather.
- - fol. 55b-fol. 86b.
- - Library of Congress. Arabic manuscripts, SM-4.
- - Ms.
- - Nastaʻliq script.
- - Paper: yellowed cream; originally split from spine; damage from termites and humidity throughout manuscript; many pages now repaired. Text in black ink, with names of medicines in red; marginal notes on first four leaves. No title page.
- - Title from margin of fol. 55b.
- - With: al-Adwīyah al-maʻrūfah al-mustaʻmalah / Muḥammad ibn ʻAlī
- - Fihris al-makhṭūṭāt al-ʻArabīyah fī Maktabat al-Kunghris, 9.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress website.
- - Arabic.
- - Incipit: لحمد لله رب العالمين والصلاة وسلامه على خير خلقه محمد وأله الطيبين الطاهرين. قال الشيخ البارع نجيب الملة والدين السمرقندى تغمده الله برحمته: إن الواجب على كل ذي لب أن يتقرب إلى الله تعالى ويتوسل إليه بكل ما تيسر له من المقربات وأحسن الوسايل وأجود الذرايع بعد امتثال الأوامر والنواهي ما يعود إلى نفع المسلمين عامة ويرجع إلى دفع الأذى عنهم خاصة.
- 32 leaves (21 lines), bound : paper ; 24 x 17 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- R128.3 .N35 1514
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Najīb Al-Dīn Al-Samarqandī, Muḥammad Ibn ʻAlī, -1222. al-Dustūr. [920 H M, 1514] Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/2008401026/.
APA citation style:
Najīb Al-Dīn Al-Samarqandī, M. I. ʻ. (1514) al-Dustūr. [920 H M] [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2008401026/.
MLA citation style:
Najīb Al-Dīn Al-Samarqandī, Muḥammad Ibn ʻAlī, -1222. al-Dustūr. [920 H M, 1514] Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2008401026/>.