Manuscript/Mixed Material Suwar al-kawākib. سور الكواكب / صور الكواكب
About this Item
- Suwar al-kawākib.
- سور الكواكب
- صور الكواكب
- Text is an excellent authority on Arabic names for the stars and constellations; includes depictions of celestial constellations. Persian note before beginning of text claims that this book written in 820 H , but the note probably dates from the 18th century when the book was rebound.
- Ṣūfī, ʻAbd al-Raḥmān ibn ʻUmar, 903-986.
Created / Published
- 1 Muḥarram 820 H [18 February 1417].
- - Astronomy, Arab--Early works to 1800
- - Constellations--Early works to 1800
- - Manuscripts, Arabic--Washington (D.C.)
- - Stars--Names--Early works to 1800
- - Fol. 1b-173a.
- - Illustrations (some colored) and tables.
- - Library of Congress. Arabic manuscript, SM16.
- - Ms.
- - Naskhi script; 19 lines in written area, 16 x 9 cm.
- - Paper: yellowed cream, watermarks, first two and last leaves repaired, dark stains on fol. 1a; traces of humidity on edges of paper. Text in black, with rubricated headings and captions. Illustrations of constellations have colored ink and gold-colored pigment. Catchwords on rectos. Some diacritical marks.
- - Persian inscriptions of former owners on fol. 175b dated 1174 H , 1202 H , 1204 H , and 1205 H .
- - Precious old binding. Cover and pastedowns decorated and gilded.
- - Title from container.
- - Fihris al-makhṭūṭāt al-ʻArabīyah fi Maktabat al-Kūnghris, 16-17.
- - Also available in digital form.
- - Arabic; Persian verses on fol. 175b and Persian text on leaf inserted before beginning of text.
- - Incipit: الحمد لله الواحد العدل قال عبد الرحمن بن عمر المعروف بأبي الحسين الصوفي ....
- 176 leaves (19 lines), bound : paper, col. ill. ; 25 x 15 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- QB23 .S84 1417
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress has digitized various items from numerous Library of Congress collections to create the online collection Finding our Place in the Cosmos: From Galileo to Sagan and Beyond. As a result, the individual collection items may have varying rights and access restrictions. Whenever possible, the Library of Congress provides factual information about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. For further information with respect to a specific collection item, see the associated rights & access statement on the individualized web page displaying that specific collection item.
As a publicly supported institution, the Library generally does not own rights in its collections. Therefore, it does not charge permission fees for use of such material and generally does not grant or deny permission to publish or otherwise distribute material in its collections. Permission and possible fees may be required from the copyright owner independently of the Library. It is the researcher's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other use restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the Library's collections. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Researchers must make their own assessments of rights in light of their intended use.
If you have any more information about an item you've seen on our website or if you are the copyright owner and believe our website has not properly attributed your work to you or has used it without permission, we want to hear from you. Please contact OGC@loc.gov with your contact information and a link to the relevant content.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Ṣūfī, ʻAbd Al-Raḥmān Ibn ʻUmar, 903-986. Suwar Al-Kawākib. [1 Muḥarram 820 H 18 February, 1417] Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/2008401028/.
APA citation style:
Ṣūfī, ʻ. A. I. ʻ. (1417) Suwar Al-Kawākib. [1 Muḥarram 820 H 18 February] [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2008401028/.
MLA citation style:
Ṣūfī, ʻAbd Al-Raḥmān Ibn ʻUmar, 903-986. Suwar Al-Kawākib. [1 Muḥarram 820 H 18 February, 1417] Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2008401028/>.