Book/Printed Material Qabas al-ḍawʼ fī al-ḥisāb قبس الضوء في الحساب
About this Item
- Qabas al-ḍawʼ fī al-ḥisāb
- قبس الضوء في الحساب
- Islamic law goes into great detail on the subject of the division of inheritances (farā'id) among heirs. For this reason, inheritances have received extensive treatment in books of fiqh (Islamic law) and been a subject of study for mathematicians as well. Qabas al-Daw' fī al-Hisāb (The illumination of inheritance calculation) was copied by its author, 'Abd al-Raḥman ibn Aḥmad ibn 'Ali al-Ḥamidi, in this 1589 manuscript. The work, which he dedicated to the son of the Šāf'ī jurist Šams al-Dīn Muhammad al-Bahwašī, is an example of a genre likely to seem unusual to the modern reader: the mathematical poem. The tradition of versifying on scientific subjects can be traced back to the late Umayyad and early Abbasid periods, in the eighth century, and was widespread in the Islamic world. The work deals mainly with the multiplication of whole and fractional numbers and, given its didactic scope, aims to simplify and embellish its mathematical content in poetic form. The different sections of the poem are identifiable by the presence of rubricated words at the beginning of chapters and paragraphs. World Digital Library.
- Text is a poem on arithmetic.
- amīdī, ʻAbd al-Raḥmān ibn Aḥmad ibn ʻAlī
- Mansuri Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- 12 Rabīʻ al-Awwal 997 H [29 January 1589].
- - Arithmetic--Poetry--Early works to 1900
- - Manuscripts, Arabic--Washington (D.C.)
- - Mathematics, Arab--Poetry--Early works to 1800
- - Binding: modern cardboard, covered in cloth; leather spine.
- - Fol. 1b-7b.
- - Library of Congress. Mansuri Collection, 5-710.
- - Ms.
- - Naskhī script; 17 lines in written area, 15 x 10 cm.
- - Paper: yellowed cream with watermarks; brown stains at bottom of leaves; leaves repaired near spine. Text is principally in black ink with some words in red. Occasional diacritical marks; catchwords on rectos.
- - Title from cover.
- - Transcribed by the author, ʻAbd al-Raḥmān ibn Aḥmad ibn ʻAlī Ḥamīdī, on 12 Rabīʻ al-Awwal 997 H [29 January 1589].
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress website.
- - Arabic.
- - Purchase of Mahmud al-Mansuri collection, 1945.
- - Incipit: بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم و صلى الله على سيدنا محمد و أله و سلم قال الحميدى عابد الرحمن أحمد مولى عم بالاحسان وأفضل الصلاة والتســليم على الحبيب المصطفى الكريم محمد خير الورى والأل الصحب أهل الجود والأفضال. . . .
- 7 leaves (17 lines), bound : paper ; 21 x 16 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- QA101 .H185 1589
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Amīdī, ʻabd Al-Raḥmān Ibn Aḥmad Ibn ʻalī
- Mansuri Collection (Library of Congress)
- Ḥamīdī, ʻabd Al-Raḥmān Ibn Aḥmad Ibn ʻalī
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Amīdī, ʻAbd Al-Raḥmān Ibn Aḥmad Ibn ʻAlī, and Mansuri Collection. Qabas Al-Ḍawʼ Fī Al-Ḥisāb. [12 Rabīʻ al-Awwal 997 H 29 January, 1589] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2008401700/.
APA citation style:
Amīdī, ʻ. A. I. A. I. ʻ. & Mansuri Collection. (1589) Qabas Al-Ḍawʼ Fī Al-Ḥisāb. [12 Rabīʻ al-Awwal 997 H 29 January] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2008401700/.
MLA citation style:
Amīdī, ʻAbd Al-Raḥmān Ibn Aḥmad Ibn ʻAlī, and Mansuri Collection. Qabas Al-Ḍawʼ Fī Al-Ḥisāb. [12 Rabīʻ al-Awwal 997 H 29 January, 1589] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2008401700/>.