Manuscript/Mixed Material Risālah fī al-burūj wa-al-manāzil : Farāʼid jawharīyah fī fawāʼid al-mīqātīyah Farāyid jawharīyah fī fawāyid mīqātīyah / رسالة في البروج و المنازل : فرائد جوهرية في فوائد الميقاتية.
About this Item
- Risālah fī al-burūj wa-al-manāzil : Farāʼid jawharīyah fī fawāʼid al-mīqātīyah
- Farāyid jawharīyah fī fawāyid mīqātīyah
- رسالة في البروج و المنازل : فرائد جوهرية في فوائد الميقاتية.
- This work is an introductory, but well-organized, treatise on the elements of time-keeping and reckoning. The treatise is divided into seven sections and a conclusion. It introduces the Arabic, Coptic, and Syriac (or Alexandrian) calendars, and comments on the Persian, Roman, and Hebraic calendars. The work gives the names and lengths of the months in various calendars, explains the different methods for ascertaining the beginnings of years and months, discusses the signs of the zodiac and their relation to the four seasons, and describes the apparent motion of the sun and the moon, explaining the changing length of days and nights in the course of the seasons. The concluding section presents methods for the determination of the date, time, and the qibla (direction of prayer) in various geographical locations. Parts of the text have brief commentary in the margins. The text includes two tables and a diagram. The manuscript was completed on 28 Jumādā II 1247 AH (December 4, 1831). World Digital Library.
- Budayrī, Muḥammad ibn Muḥammad, -1727 or 1728
- Manṣūrī, Maḥmūd al-Imām, former owner
- Mansuri Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- 28 Jumādá al-ākhar 1247 H [4 December 1831].
- - Astronomy, Arab--Early works to 1800
- - Manuscripts, Arabic--Washington (D.C.)
- - Time measurements--Early works to 1800
- - Binding: modern cardboard, covered with cloth; leather spine.
- - Illustration fol. 15a; chart fol. 15b and fol. 29b.
- - Library of Congress. Mansuri Collection, 5-783.
- - Ms.
- - Naskhī script; 19 lines in written area, 15 x 10 cm.
- - Paper: yellowed cream, with watermarks, untrimmed, in moderate condition; brown stains on bottom of many leaves. Black ink on title page; black and red ink in text. Catchwords on rectos. Marginal notes.
- - Text ends on fol. 34a, followed by notes on fol. 34b-36b.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress website.
- - Arabic
- - Purchase of Mahmud al-Mansuri collection, 1945.
- - Incipit: بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم و صلى الله على سيدنا محمد و على أله و صحبه و سلم الحمد لله الذي خلق السموات والأرض وجعل الظلمات والنور ثم الذين كفروا بربهم يعدلون. هو الذي جعل الشمس ضياء والقمر نورا وقدره منازل لتعلموا عدد السنين والحساب. ما خلق الله ذلك إلا بالحق يفصل الأيات لقوم يعلمون. وأفضل الصلاة والسلام على الهادي إلى سبل السلام محمد خير الأنام . . . .
- 36 leaves (19 lines), bound : paper ; 24 x 17 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- QB215 .B83 1831
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress has digitized various items from numerous Library of Congress collections to create the online collection Finding our Place in the Cosmos: From Galileo to Sagan and Beyond. As a result, the individual collection items may have varying rights and access restrictions. Whenever possible, the Library of Congress provides factual information about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. For further information with respect to a specific collection item, see the associated rights & access statement on the individualized web page displaying that specific collection item.
As a publicly supported institution, the Library generally does not own rights in its collections. Therefore, it does not charge permission fees for use of such material and generally does not grant or deny permission to publish or otherwise distribute material in its collections. Permission and possible fees may be required from the copyright owner independently of the Library. It is the researcher's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other use restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the Library's collections. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Researchers must make their own assessments of rights in light of their intended use.
If you have any more information about an item you've seen on our website or if you are the copyright owner and believe our website has not properly attributed your work to you or has used it without permission, we want to hear from you. Please contact OGC@loc.gov with your contact information and a link to the relevant content.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Budayrī, Muḥammad Ibn Muḥammad, -1727 Or 1728, Maḥmūd Al-Imām Manṣūrī, and Mansuri Collection. Risālah fī al-burūj wa-al-manāzil: Farāʼid jawharīyah fī fawāʼid al-mīqātīyah. [28 Jumādá al-ākhar H 4 December 1831, 1831] Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/2008401701/.
APA citation style:
Budayrī, M. I. M., Manṣūrī, M. A. & Mansuri Collection. (1831) Risālah fī al-burūj wa-al-manāzil: Farāʼid jawharīyah fī fawāʼid al-mīqātīyah. [28 Jumādá al-ākhar H 4 December 1831] [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2008401701/.
MLA citation style:
Budayrī, Muḥammad Ibn Muḥammad, -1727 Or 1728, Maḥmūd Al-Imām Manṣūrī, and Mansuri Collection. Risālah fī al-burūj wa-al-manāzil: Farāʼid jawharīyah fī fawāʼid al-mīqātīyah. [28 Jumādá al-ākhar H 4 December 1831, 1831] Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2008401701/>.