Manuscript/Mixed Material Hādhā kitāb al-Lumʻah al-Māridīnīyah fī sharḥ al-Yāsamīnīyah fī ʻilm al-jabr wa-al-muqābalah
About this Item
- Hādhā kitāb al-Lumʻah al-Māridīnīyah fī sharḥ al-Yāsamīnīyah fī ʻilm al-jabr wa-al-muqābalah
- Text is a commentary on the versified treatise of arithmetic entitled al-Yāsamīnīyah by ʻAbd Allāh ibn Ḥajjāj Ibn al-Yāsamīn.
- The mathematical tradition that flourished in North Africa and Andalusia during the Middle Ages did not undergo the same decline that many scholars claim occurred in the sciences after the first half of the 13th century. The present work supports this point. The manuscript is a very elegant copy of a mathematical text by Badr al-Dīn Muḥammad ibn Muḥammad ibn al-Ġazal, best known as Sibṭ al-Māridīnī ("the son of al-Māridīnī's daughter") from the name of his famous maternal grandfather, who was himself a mathematician. Sibṭ al-Māridīnī's mathematical knowledge--acquired during his extensive years of study and during his activity as muwaqqit (timekeeper) at the Al-Azhar Mosque in Cairo--is applied here to the verses of a late 12th century mathematical poem composed by the Maghrebi mathematician al-Yāsamīn. The copyist of the manuscript drew a clear graphical distinction between the text of al-Yāsamīn's poem and al-Māridīnī's commentary: the verses of the former are highlighted in red ink, while the latter runs for 11 folio pages, in which is found a definition of the elements of algebra known at the time (number, root and sequence); the description of the six canonical equations already identified by al-Ḫwārizmī during the 9th century; and a treatment of the algebraic operations of restoration, comparison, and multiplication and division of monomials. World Digital Library.
- Sibṭ al-Māridīnī, Badr al-Dīn Muḥammad ibn Muḥammad, 1423-
- Ibn al-Yāsamīn, ʻAbd Allāh ibn Ḥajjāj, -1204
- Manṣūrī, Maḥmūd al-Imām, former owner
- Yūsuf, Ṭāhā, scribe
- Mansuri Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- 25 Muḥarram 1291 [14 March 1874].
- - Manuscripts, Arabic--Washington (D.C.)
- - Mathematics, Arab--Early works to 1800
- - [Egypt?]
- - Binding: old decorated cardboard. Text is second work in a volume of 181 leaves containing 4 other works.
- - Fol. 39a-50a.
- - Library of Congress. Mansuri Collection, 5-738.
- - Ms.
- - Nastaʻliq script; 19 lines in written area, 14 x 8 cm.
- - Paper: yellowed cream, in good condition though split from spine. Black and red on title page, text of al-Yāsamīnīyah in red with commentary in black. Text framed by a double red line. Catchwords on rectos.
- - Transcribed by Ṭāḥā Yūsuf and completed on 25 Muḥarram, 1291.
- - With: Hādhihi Ḥāshīyat al-ʻĀlim al-ʻAllāmah al-Shaykh Aḥmad Muḥammad al-Shāfiʻī al-Janājī al-Mālikī ʻalá Sharḥ al-Sibṭ al-Māridīnī ʻalá al-Yāsamīnīyah fī ʻilm al-jabr wa-al-muqābalah / Aḥmad ibn Muḥammad al-Janājī.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress website.
- - Arabic.
- - Purchase of Mahmud al-Mansuri collection, 1945.
- - Incipit: بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم الحمد لله الذي أحصى كل شيء عددا و جعل الأموال لمن أعطى . . . و بعد فيقول فقير رحمة ربه محمد بن محمد سبط المارديني هذا تعليق على الأجوزة المسماة الياسمينية . . . .
- 12 leaves (19 lines), bound : paper ; 23 x 17 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- QA154.8 .J36 1888
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Ibn Al-Yāsamīn, ʻabd Allāh Ibn Ḥajjāj
- Mansuri Collection (Library of Congress)
- Manṣūrī, Maḥmūd Al-Imām
- Sibṭ Al-Māridīnī, Badr Al-Dīn Muḥammad Ibn Muḥammad
- Yūsuf, Ṭāhā
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sibṭ Al-Māridīnī, Badr Al-Dīn Muḥammad Ibn Muḥammad, ʻAbd Allāh Ibn Ḥajjāj Ibn Al-Yāsamīn, Maḥmūd Al-Imām Manṣūrī, Ṭāhā Yūsuf, and Mansuri Collection. Hādhā kitāb al-Lumʻah al-Māridīnīyah fī sharḥ al-Yāsamīnīyah fī ʻilm al-jabr wa-al-muqābalah. [25 Muḥarram 14 March 1874, 1874] Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/2008401935/.
APA citation style:
Sibṭ Al-Māridīnī, B. A. M. I. M., Ibn Al-Yāsamīn, ʻ. A. I. Ḥ., Manṣūrī, M. A., Yūsuf, Ṭ. & Mansuri Collection. (1874) Hādhā kitāb al-Lumʻah al-Māridīnīyah fī sharḥ al-Yāsamīnīyah fī ʻilm al-jabr wa-al-muqābalah. [25 Muḥarram 14 March 1874] [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2008401935/.
MLA citation style:
Sibṭ Al-Māridīnī, Badr Al-Dīn Muḥammad Ibn Muḥammad, et al. Hādhā kitāb al-Lumʻah al-Māridīnīyah fī sharḥ al-Yāsamīnīyah fī ʻilm al-jabr wa-al-muqābalah. [25 Muḥarram 14 March 1874, 1874] Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2008401935/>.