Manuscripts/Mixed Material Kitāb mafātīḥ al-raḥmah wa-asrār al-ḥikmah.
About this Item
- Kitāb mafātīḥ al-raḥmah wa-asrār al-ḥikmah.
- Other Title
- كتاب مفاتيح الرحمة و أسرار الحكمة.
- Mafātīḥ al-ḥikmah.
- The ms. is in two parts. Part I, or Introduction by Ṭughrāʼī, and Part II, "From keys of wisdom" is by the Egyptian chemist Zosimos, translated into Arabic by al-Ṭughrāʼī. Part I is written in the form of lectures and is divided into 5 chapters: The science and its materials; Mixing and its way; Fire and its nature; Balances (of properties); Metals and plants and how to recognize them.
- Part II entitled "From keys of wisdom" is divided into 7 sections: Definitions and symbols; Promotion and what can be promoted; Distillation, what cannot be distilled; Conversions and synthesis; Degradation and decomposition; How the chemist deduced these facts; and, The stages of work. It is hard to consider this part an accurate translation of Zosimos book "Keys of the craft". It often contains references that are anachoronistic or that are not found in Zosimos' text.
- Contributor Names
- Ṭughrāʼī, al-Ḥusayn ibn ʻAlī, 1061 or 1062-1121?
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Alchemy--Early works to 1800
- - Manuscripts, Arabic--Washington (D.C.)
- - Ms.
- - Arabic.
- - Title from fol. 2a.
- - Paper: illuminated yellow cream with various watermarks; in moderate condition, stains from humidity and limited termite damage. First few leaves and last leaf have been repaired. Black ink on title page; text in black ink with some rubricated words. Diacritical marks throughout. Extensive marginal notes in different hands; catchwords on rectos.
- - Library of Congress. Arabic manuscript, Mafātiḥ al-raḥmah wa-asrār al-ḥikmah.
- - El Khadem, H.S. "A translation of a Zosimos text in an Arabic alchemy book," Journal of the Washington Academy of Sciences, vol. 84, no. 3, Sept. 1996, p. 168-178.
- - Naskhī script; 25 lines in written area, 16 x 7 cm.
- - Numerous illustrations.
- - Fol. 1a -120a (vol. I) and fol. 2a-145b (vol. II).
- - Fol. 120b of Part I and fol. 145b of Part II both have the date Dhu al-Qaʻdah 1148 AH [March 1736 AD]; on fol. 145b there is an inscription "Owned by legal purchase by so and so, son of so and so, in the holy month of Dhī al-Qaʻdah 1148."
- - Original binding: blind tooled red leather.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress website.
- - Incipit: بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم الحمد لله الذي أبرز أعيان حقايق المكونات رميز تعينات هوياتها تبفنز (؟) القوابل القوابل و الإمتزاجات و أفاض خمر(؟؟؟) جارقد (؟) على أرض التكوين . . . .
- 265 leaves (25 lines), bound : paper ; 21 x 15 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- QD25 .T847 1700z
- Digital Id
- amed0001 200149151 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.amed/amed0001.200149151.1
- amed0001 200149151 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.amed/amed0001.200149151.2
- Library of Congress Control Number
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
ṬughrāʼĪ, Al-Ḥusayn Ibn ʻAlī, 1061 Or ?. Kitāb Mafātīḥ Al-Raḥmah Wa-Asrār Al-Ḥikmah. [17--?] Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://lccn.loc.gov/2008427048. (Accessed September 24, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Ṭughrāʼī, A. I. ʻ. Kitāb Mafātīḥ Al-Raḥmah Wa-Asrār Al-Ḥikmah. [17--?] [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://lccn.loc.gov/2008427048.
MLA citation style:
ṬughrāʼĪ, Al-Ḥusayn Ibn ʻAlī, 1061 Or ?. Kitāb Mafātīḥ Al-Raḥmah Wa-Asrār Al-Ḥikmah. [17--?] Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://lccn.loc.gov/2008427048>.