Manuscript/Mixed Material Hādhā kitāb fatḥ al-tadāwī min jamīʻ al-amrāḍ wa-al-shakāwī / / هذا كتاب فتح التداوي من جميع الأمراض و الشكاوي /
About this Item
- Hādhā kitāb fatḥ al-tadāwī min jamīʻ al-amrāḍ wa-al-shakāwī
- هذا كتاب فتح التداوي من جميع الأمراض و الشكاوي /
- The text is a complete treatise on hygiene and diet and the art of preserving good health. It describes the nourishment of the parts of the human body as well as medical drugs. The text consists of six synoptic tables, each of which is divided into 16 parts. Fol. 1a-17b contain the introduction; fol. 18a-21a are blank. The rest of the book consists of tables: fol. 21b-26a are a table of contents with in 6 columns on each page. fol. 26b-142a contain tables of 8 columns that present the names of drugs, their advantages and disadvantages, and how to use them.
- This important work is a long but well-organized and clearly-written treatise on medicine, hygiene, diet, and the art of preserving good health. It focuses on simple and composite medicinal remedies. With the aid of tables, diagrams, and numerous examples, it presents a comprehensive, but accessible, synopsis of medical knowledge and medicinal treatments known at the time of its composition. The work is by the son of the well-known man of letters Nūr al-Dīn Ibrāhīm Ibn Sa'īd al-Maghribī al-Gharnātī (1214-86 [610-85 AH]), and is dedicated to Shams al-Dīn Abū 'Abd-Allāh Muḥammad ibn 'Izz al-Dawla. It is also known by the title Taqwīm al-adwiya fi altadāwī min ṣunūf al-amrāḍ wa al-shakāwī, and has sometimes been mistakenly attributed to Yuhannā ibn Bakhtishū'. World Digital Library.
- Maghribī, Abū Saʻīd ibn Ibrāhīm, active 12th century
- Muḥammad Dhū al-Qarnayn ibn ʻAyn al-Dawlah, -1162, associated name
Created / Published
- - Manuscripts, Arabic--Washington (D.C.)
- - Medicine, Arab
- - Nutrition--Early works to 1800
- - Pharmacology--Early works to 1800
- - [Malatya, Turkey?]
- - Binding: old cardboard covered with paper marbled in red, blue, and black; the front side is missing and the spine is loose. Leather on spine. It appears that fol.1a - 17b and fol. 21b-142a originally bound in separate volumes.
- - Fol. 1a-142a.
- - Fol. 1b-2a records that the text was originally written for the Amīr Shams al-Dīn Abū ʻAbd Allāh Muḥammad Dhū al-Qarnayn ibn ʻIzz [i.e. ʻAyn] al-Dawlah, the son of Amīr Ghāzī. This appears to be the Danishmendid ruler Dhū al-Qarnayn (d. 1162).
- - Library of Congress. Arabic manuscript, SM-57.
- - Ms.
- - Naskhī script; 19 lines in written area, 17 x 9 cm.
- - Paper: cream, with watermarks (Andrea Galvani Pordenone); varies in thickness, in medium condition. First 10 leaves are loose. Black, red, and violet ink on title page, text is principally in black with some rubricated words. Text framed by double violet line (fol.1a - 17b) and by double red line (fol.21b-142a). Catchwords on first 17 leaves.
- - Tables (fol.21b-142a).
- - Fihris al-makhṭūṭāt al-ʻArabīyah fi Maktabat al-Kūnghris, 44.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress website.
- - Arabic.
- - Incipit: بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم و صلى الله على سيدنا محمد و على أله و صحبه و سلم ان أولى ما أفتتح به الخطاب وأجمل ما أبتدئ به الكتاب التعظيم لذكر الله والتنويه بأسمائه والشكر لألائه والحمد على نعمائه الذي عم البرايا بأنواع كرمه وشمل الخلائق بضروب نعمه. خلق النبات والأشجار والحبوب والثمار منافعا للناس وجعل فيها غذاء أجسامهم وشفاء أسقامهم. . .
- 142 leaves (19 lines), bound : paper ; 24 x 17 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- R128.3 .M34 1700z
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Maghribī, Abū SaʻĪd Ibn Ibrāhīm, Active 12Th Century, and -1162 Muḥammad Dhū Al-Qarnayn Ibn ʻAyn Al-Dawlah. Hādhā Kitāb Fatḥ Al-Tadāwī Min Jamīʻ Al-Amrāḍ Wa-Al-Shakāwī. [17, 1700] Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/2008427055/.
APA citation style:
Maghribī, A. S. I. I. & Muḥammad Dhū Al-Qarnayn Ibn ʻAyn Al-Dawlah. (1700) Hādhā Kitāb Fatḥ Al-Tadāwī Min Jamīʻ Al-Amrāḍ Wa-Al-Shakāwī.  [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2008427055/.
MLA citation style:
Maghribī, Abū SaʻĪd Ibn Ibrāhīm, Active 12Th Century, and -1162 Muḥammad Dhū Al-Qarnayn Ibn ʻAyn Al-Dawlah. Hādhā Kitāb Fatḥ Al-Tadāwī Min Jamīʻ Al-Amrāḍ Wa-Al-Shakāwī. [17, 1700] Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2008427055/>.