Manuscript/Mixed Material Hādhihi Ḥāshīyat al-ʻĀlim al-ʻAllāmah al-Shaykh Aḥmad Muḥammad al-Shāfiʻī al-Janājī al-Mālikī ʻalá Sharḥ al-Sibṭ al-Māridīnī ʻalá al-Yāsamīnīyah fī ʻilm al-jabr wa-al-muqābalah
About this Item
- Hādhihi Ḥāshīyat al-ʻĀlim al-ʻAllāmah al-Shaykh Aḥmad Muḥammad al-Shāfiʻī al-Janājī al-Mālikī ʻalá Sharḥ al-Sibṭ al-Māridīnī ʻalá al-Yāsamīnīyah fī ʻilm al-jabr wa-al-muqābalah
- This supercommentary (commentary on a commentary) by Aḥmad Muhammad al-Šāfiʻī al-Janājī al-Mālikī testifies to the liveliness and endurance of the Arabic mathematical tradition and demonstrates the continuous exegetical effort in which Arabic scientists commented upon previous works with the aim of expanding and clarifying their contents. The North African mathematician 'Abd Allāh ibn Ḥajjāj ibn al-Yāsamīn (died 1204) conveyed his mathematical knowledge in a poem known as Yāsamīnīyya (The treatise by al-Yāsamīn). Al-Yāsamīn's verses became the subject of a prose commentary, the Lum'a al-Maridinīyya fī Šarḥ al-Yāsamīnīyya (The shimmer of al-Maridinī in the explanation of the treatise by al-Yāsamīn), by Muḥammad ibn Muḥammad ibn Aḥmad Abū 'Abd Allāh Badr al-Dīn (1423-1506), who was known as Sibṭ al-Māridīnī from the name of his maternal grandfather, also a mathematician. Sibṭ al-Māridīnī is most commonly remembered for the description of the periodicity of the sexagesimal fractions, his main original contribution to the field. In the present manuscript, al-Mālikī touches upon the themes of the Yāsamīnīyya, as explained by Sibṭ al-Māridīnī. The work encompasses the definition of the elements of algebra known at the time (number, root, and sequence), the description of the six canonical equations already identified by al-Ḫwārizmī during the ninth century, and the treatment of the algebraic operations of restoration, comparison, multiplication, and division of monomials. Copied in 1888 by scribe Ṭaha ibn Yūsuf, the manuscript is in Nasta'liq script in black ink framed by double red lines, with the outer margins used for subheadings and on yellowed cream paper. It was previously in the collection of Shaykh Maḥmūd al-Imām al-Manṣūrī, professor of religion at Al-Azhar University in Cairo, which was purchased by the Library of Congress in 1945. World Digital Library.
- Janājī, Aḥmad Muḥammad
- Ibn al-Yāsamīn, ʻAbd Allāh ibn Ḥajjāj, -1204
- Manṣūrī, Maḥmūd al-Imām, former owner
- Sibṭ al-Māridīnī, Badr al-Dīn Muḥammad ibn Muḥammad, 1423-
- Yūsuf, Ṭāhā, scribe
- Mansuri Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- 16 Rajab 1305 [26 March 1888].
- - Algebra--Early works to 1800
- - Manuscripts, Arabic--Washington (D.C.)
- - Mathematics, Arab--Early works to 1800
- - [Egypt?]
- - Binding: old decorated cardboard.
- - Fol. 1b-36b.
- - Library of Congress. Mansuri Collection, 5-738.
- - Ms.
- - Nastaʻliq script; 23 lines in written area, 16 x 9 cm.
- - Paper: yellowed cream, in good condition; leaves loose. Black ink throughout the text, framed by a double red line. Few marginal notes; catchwords on rectos.
- - Transcribed by Ṭaḥa ibn Yūsuf and completed 16 Rajab, 1305 AH.
- - With: Hādhā kitāb al-Lumʻah al-Māridīnīyah fī sharḥ al-Yāsamīnīyah fī ʻilm al-jabr wa-al-muqābalah / Badr al-Dīn Muḥammad ibn Muḥammad Sibṭ al-Māridīnī -- Hādhihi Ḥāshīyat al-ʻĀlim al-ʻAllāmah al-Ustādh al-Ḥifnī al-musammah bi-Farāʼid ʻawāʼid jabrīyah ʻalá sharḥ al-Sibṭ lil-Yāsamīnīyah / Muḥammad ibn Sālim al-Ḥifnī -- Hādhā Sharḥ Shaykh al-Islām Zakarīyā al-Anṣārī li-manẓūmāt Ibn al-Hāʼim fī ʻilm al-jabr wa-al-muqābalah al-musammá bi-Fatḥ al-mubdiʻ fī sharḥ al-Muqniʻ / Zakarīyā ibn Muḥammad al-Anṣārī -- Hādhihi Ḥāshīyat al-Shaykh al-Imām al-ʻĀlim al-ʻAllāmah Aḥmad al-Shāfiʻī al-Janājī al-Mālikī ʻalá Sharḥ Shaykh al-Islām Zakarīyā al-Anṣārī ʻalá al-Muqniʻ li-ibn al-Hāʼim fī ʻilm al-jabr wa-al-muqābalah / Aḥmad Muḥammad al-Jajānī.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress website.
- - Arabic.
- - Purchase of Mahmud al-Mansuri collection, 1945.
- - Incipit: بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم الحمد لله ااذي قسم محبة بيت اوليائه و قدر عددهم في سابق أزله و قضائه و الصلاة و السلام على سيدنا محمد الذي أعطى الحظ الاوفر و على أله. . . . وبعد فيقول أضعف العباد و أحوجهم إلى رحمة الكريم الجواد أحمد محمد الشافعي الجناجي المالكي . . . .
- 36 leaves (23 lines), bound : paper ; 23 x 17 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- QA154.8 .J36 1888
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Ibn Al-Yāsamīn, ʻabd Allāh Ibn Ḥajjāj
- Janājī, Aḥmad Muḥammad
- Mansuri Collection (Library of Congress)
- Manṣūrī, Maḥmūd Al-Imām
- Sibṭ Al-Māridīnī, Badr Al-Dīn Muḥammad Ibn Muḥammad
- Yūsuf, Ṭāhā
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Janājī, Aḥmad Muḥammad, ʻAbd Allāh Ibn Ḥajjāj Ibn Al-Yāsamīn, Maḥmūd Al-Imām Manṣūrī, Badr Al-Dīn Muḥammad Ibn Muḥammad Sibṭ Al-Māridīnī, Ṭāhā Yūsuf, and Mansuri Collection. Hādhihi Ḥāshīyat al-ʻĀlim al-ʻAllāmah al-Shaykh Aḥmad Muḥammad al-Shāfiʻī al-Janājī al-Mālikī ʻalá Sharḥ al-Sibṭ al-Māridīnī ʻalá al-Yāsamīnīyah fī ʻilm al-jabr wa-al-muqābalah. [16 Rajab 26 March 1888, 1888] Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/2008427060/.
APA citation style:
Janājī, A. M., Ibn Al-Yāsamīn, ʻ. A. I. Ḥ., Manṣūrī, M. A., Sibṭ Al-Māridīnī, B. A. M. I. M., Yūsuf, Ṭ. & Mansuri Collection. (1888) Hādhihi Ḥāshīyat al-ʻĀlim al-ʻAllāmah al-Shaykh Aḥmad Muḥammad al-Shāfiʻī al-Janājī al-Mālikī ʻalá Sharḥ al-Sibṭ al-Māridīnī ʻalá al-Yāsamīnīyah fī ʻilm al-jabr wa-al-muqābalah. [16 Rajab 26 March 1888] [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2008427060/.
MLA citation style:
Janājī, Aḥmad Muḥammad, et al. Hādhihi Ḥāshīyat al-ʻĀlim al-ʻAllāmah al-Shaykh Aḥmad Muḥammad al-Shāfiʻī al-Janājī al-Mālikī ʻalá Sharḥ al-Sibṭ al-Māridīnī ʻalá al-Yāsamīnīyah fī ʻilm al-jabr wa-al-muqābalah. [16 Rajab 26 March 1888, 1888] Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2008427060/>.