Map [A portolan chart of the Atlantic Ocean and adjacent continents].
About this Item
- [A portolan chart of the Atlantic Ocean and adjacent continents].
- Contributor Names
- Roiz, Pascoal.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Nautical charts--Atlantic Ocean--Early works to 1800
- - Atlantic Ocean--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Africa--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Asia--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Europe--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - South America--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - North America--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Atlantic Ocean
- - Africa
- - Asia
- - Europe
- - South America
- - North America
- Manuscript maps
- Portolan charts
- Early maps
- - Also shows the southeast Pacific Ocean, the southwest Indian Ocean, as well as the continents of South America, Africa, Europe, and portions of North America and Asia.
- - Relief shown pictorially.
- - Title supplied by cataloger.
- - LC Nautical charts on vellum, 16
- - LC Luso-Hispanic World, 10
- - Pen-and-ink and watercolor, matted and mounted between panels of transparent Lucite plexiglass; the panels are riveted on a rigid frame (102 cm. x 118 cm.).
- - Includes pictures of a fort, circle of compass roses, flags, insignia, coast-of-arms, and religious figures.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Mended horizontal tears across left edge section, some losses along edges, discoloration throughout, with spotting along west side. Blue paint in lower right corner.
- 1 ms. map : col., vellum ; 80 x 95 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G9111.P5 1633 .R7
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Roiz, Pascoal. A portolan chart of the Atlantic Ocean and adjacent continents. 1633. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2008621738/.
APA citation style:
Roiz, P. (1633) A portolan chart of the Atlantic Ocean and adjacent continents. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2008621738/.
MLA citation style:
Roiz, Pascoal. A portolan chart of the Atlantic Ocean and adjacent continents. 1633. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2008621738/>.
More Maps like this
Map[Chart of the Atlantic Ocean, from 37° N to 42° S] Title from LC Nautical charts on vellum. Prime meridian: Cape Verde. Pen-and-ink and goauche. Includes illustrations. LC Nautical charts on vellum, 29. Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as...
- Contributor: Ferreira, Manoel
- Date: 1760
MapDescription o carta reducida, de los costas de tierra firma de la America Meridional, en la ... Title provided by cataloguer. Prime meridian: Tenerife. Coastline of South America redrawn after 1741. Pen-and-ink and goauche. LC Nautical charts on vellum, 27 Available also through the Library of Congress Web site...
- Contributor: Mattos, Antonio De
- Date: 1734
Map[Portolan chart of the Mediterranean and Black Seas with the west coast of Spain and Portugal] Portolan chart with seaport names given for all coastlines. Title provided by cataloguer. Fragmentary signature on upper right portion leading into neck reads "Io Placid...". Oriented with north to the right (indicated...
- Contributor: Oliva, Placido
- Date: 158?
Map[Portolan atlas of the Mediterranean Sea and western Europe]. Title supplied by cataloger. Pen-and-ink, watercolor, and gilding on vellum. Half of charts 1 and 5 are attached respectively to the inside of the front and back boards. The other halves of...
- Contributor: Brémond, Jean André
- Date: 1670
MapCartas esfericas y planos de los Puertos situados sobre las Costas Septentrionales de las Californias è ... Covers Pacific Coast extending from Mexico to Alaska. Relief shown by contours and hachures. Title and date in pencil on verso of all sheets. Pen-and-ink, watercolor, and pencil and mounted on cloth....
- Date: 1799