Maps Map of the United States of America : with the contiguous British & Spanish possessions
About this Item
- Map of the United States of America : with the contiguous British & Spanish possessions
- Other Title
- Map of United States and adjacent British & Spanish possessions
- Contributor Names
- Melish, John, 1771-1822.
- Vallance, J. (John), 1770-1823.
- Tanner, Henry Schenck, 1786-1858.
- Created / Published
- Philadelphia : John Melish, 1820.
- Subject Headings
- - United States--Maps
- - Great Britain--Colonies--America--Maps
- - Spain--Colonies--America--Maps
- - United States
- - Also shows southern Canada, Mexico, parts of Central America, and the West Indies.
- - Relief shown pictorially.
- - "Entered according to Act of Congress the 16th day of June 1820."
- - This is a variant edition printed between the documented 6th and 7th states. The 6th and 7th states of the map are described in: A la carte / compiled by Walter Ristow. 1972. p. 180.
- - Prime meridians: London and Washington, D.C.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Includes "general statistical table," "statistical table of the several countries exhibited ...," and inset of the West Indies.
- - Sectioned into 50 pieces, mounted on cloth. Edged with green silk.
- - Vendor: Old Print Shop
- - Acquisitions control no. 2008-127
- 1 map : hand col. ; 110 x 150 cm., folded to 22 x 15 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3700 1820 .M4e2
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Melish, John, J Vallance, and Henry Schenck Tanner. Map of the United States of America: with the contiguous British & Spanish possessions. Philadelphia: John Melish, 1820. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2008622175/. (Accessed September 27, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Melish, J., Vallance, J. & Tanner, H. S. (1820) Map of the United States of America: with the contiguous British & Spanish possessions. Philadelphia: John Melish. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2008622175/.
MLA citation style:
Melish, John, J Vallance, and Henry Schenck Tanner. Map of the United States of America: with the contiguous British & Spanish possessions. Philadelphia: John Melish, 1820. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/2008622175/>.