Maps Maps illustrating Gen'l Sherman's "March to the sea" and through the Carolinas and Virginia
About this Item
- Maps illustrating Gen'l Sherman's "March to the sea" and through the Carolinas and Virginia
- Other Title
- Maps illustrating General Sherman's "March to the sea" and through the Carolinas and Virginia
- Contributor Names
- McDowell, Robert M. (Topographical engineer)
- Created / Published
- Campaign maps showing positions of 20th Corps on march from Chattanooga, Tenn. to Atlanta, Ga. with dates and Union and Rebel defenses -- Maps showing the campaign of the 20th Corps from Atlanta to Savannah with the dates [and] Union and Rebel defenses, 1864 -- Campaign maps exhibiting the line of march of the 20th Corps from Savannah, Ga. to Goldsboro, N.C. with the plans of the battle fields of Averysboro and Bentonsville, 1865 -- Campaign maps exhibiting the line of march of the Army of Georgia, commanded by Maj. Genl. H.W. Slocum, from Goldsboro, N.C. to Martha's Vineyard, N.C., 1865 -- Maps showing the line of march of the Army of Georgia, commanded by Maj. Genl. H.W. Slocum, from Raleigh, N.C. to Alexandria, Va., 1865.
- Subject Headings
- - Sherman, William T.--(William Tecumseh),--1820-1891
- - South Atlantic States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Atlanta Campaign, 1864--Maps
- - Sherman's March to the Sea--Maps
- - Sherman's March through the Carolinas--Maps
- - United States--South Atlantic States
- - Atlanta Campaign
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - Title from cover.
- - Gift; Ransom Post no. 131, Grand Army of the Republic, St. Louis, Mo.; September 1933.
- - Pen and ink and colored ink on paper and tracing cloth.
- - LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.), 77
- - LeGear. Atlases of the United States, 10658
- - Similar maps printed in the U.S. War Dept.'s Atlas to accompany the official records of the Union and Confederate armies, 1891-95, pl. 71, no. 1-11; pl. 79., no. 4; pl. 80, no. 1-11; and pl. 101, no 7, 19.
- - Title pages to sections 2 and 3 not manuscript. All section title pages signed by R.M. McDowell.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - On label (6 x 12 cm.) affixed inside front cover: "Presented by Ransom Post no. 131, Grand Army of the Republic, St. Louis, MO."
- - Lower portion of title page to section 1 wanting.
- - Conserved Feb. 1988.
- - Call number revised from that appearing in Stephenson's Civil War maps, 1989.
- 1 ms. atlas ( leaves) : 51 col. maps (some folded), 20 x 31 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G1289.31.S5 M2 1865
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- online text
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
ContributorsMcDowell, Robert M.
LocationSouth Atlantic States
Sherman's March Through the Carolinas
Sherman's March to the Sea
Sherman, William T.
South Atlantic States
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Mcdowell, Robert M. Maps illustrating Gen'l Sherman's "March to the sea" and through the Carolinas and Virginia. [?, 1864] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2008626930/. (Accessed August 27, 2016.)
APA citation style:
McDowell, R. M. (1864) Maps illustrating Gen'l Sherman's "March to the sea" and through the Carolinas and Virginia. [?] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2008626930/.
MLA citation style:
Mcdowell, Robert M. Maps illustrating Gen'l Sherman's "March to the sea" and through the Carolinas and Virginia. [?, 1864] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/2008626930/>.