Book/Printed Material [Musical treatises]
About this Item
- [Musical treatises]
- Contributor Names
- Preottonus, Johannes Franciscus -- active 15th century
- Muris, Johannes de -- approximately 1300-approximately 1350
- Hothby, John -- approximately 1430-1487
- Muris, Johannes de -- approximately 1300-approximately 1350
- Created / Published
- [1465-1477], monographic.
- - [compiled by Johannes Franciscus Preottonus]. (statement of responsibility)
- - Title from: Census of medieval and renaissance manuscripts in the United States and Canada.
- - F. 47r: Venice; f. 155r: Piacenza.
- - Black and red square chant notation and black mensural notation.
- - Four or five line staves.
- - Original dark brown leather covers over pasteboard lined with two ff. of a twelfth c. ms. of Latin sermons.
- - The  leaves, 3rd sequence of foliation, are blank.
- - Contents from: Census of medieval and renaissance manuscripts in the United States and Canada.
- - Purchase; Walter Toscanini; 1932. (acquisition)
- - Table of planets, in Italian (ff. [1-2]) -- Ratio paschalis, table for finding Easter, 1400-1931 (ff. [4r.-6v.]) -- De aureo numero versus (ff. [7r.-11r.]) -- Table of contents (ff. [11v.-13r.]) -- Lucidarium / Marchetus de Padua (ff. 1r.-47r.) -- De practica arte mensurabilis cantus / Johannes de Muris (ff. 47v.-56r.) -- De musica plana / Johannes de Garlandia (ff. 56r.-70v.) -- Regulae utiles in cantu plano (ff. 70r.-70v.) -- Mensurabilis cantus / Aegidius de Murino (ff. 70v.-79r.) -- Hec est manus Boetii (f. 80v.) -- De arte contrapuncti / Italian translation by Johannes Franciscus de Preotonibus, of Pavia (ff. 81r.-94v.) ; Uno breve compendio in l'arte del contrapuncto / Johannes de Anglia (ff. 94v.-95v.) -- Brevis summula de arte mensurabilis cantus (ff. 96r.-98r.) -- Nine Latin verses on the scale / Guido Aretinus (f. 98r.) -- Figurae notarum (ff. 98v.-100r.) -- Ratio Guidonis monachi with a Guidonian hand (ff. 100v.-102v.) -- Tractatus fratris Petri de Sancto Dionisio : Musica est scientia bene modulandi ... Explicit Ars cantus fratris Petri de Sancto Dionisio quam scripsit don Jo. Franc. Preottonus de Papia (ff. 102v.-109r.) -- Examples of music for three voices (ff. 109v.-110v.) -- De arte contrapuncti / Johannes de Muris (ff. 112r.-118v.) -- Examples of vocal music (ff. 119v.-128r.) -- La raxone e le questione de la lettera canzelarescha (ff. 128v.-133r.) -- Micrologus (ff. 138r.-155r.) ; Antiphonarium, incomplete (ff. 155v.-157v.) ; Epistola, incomplete (ff. 157v.-159r.) / Guido Aretinus -- Calmetta, 6 verses of a poem in Italian (f. 160r.) -- Rithimi / Guido Aretinus (ff. 165r.-172v.) -- Diuretic recipe in Italian (f. 187v.).
- a-k,173, , 187 leaves : parchment, ill., music ; 21 cm.
- Library of Congress Control Number
- LC Classification
- ML171 .J6
- Online Format
- Manuscript | a-k,173, , 187 leaves : parchment, ill., music ; 21 cm. | [compiled by Johannes Franciscus Preottonus]. (Statement Of Responsibility). Title from: Census of medieval and renaissance manuscripts in the United States and Canada. F. 47r: Venice; f. 155r: Piacenza. Black and red square chant notation and black mensural notation. Four or five line staves. Original dark brown leather covers over pasteboard lined with two ff. of a twelfth c. ms. of Latin sermons. The  leaves, 3rd sequence of foliation, are blank. Contents from: Census of medieval and renaissance manuscripts in the United States and Canada. Purchase; Walter Toscanini; 1932. (Acquisition). Manuscript (Form). Print (Form).
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- METSXML Record
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Articles and Essays with this item:
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Music Treasures Consortium is an alliance of many libraries. The Library of Congress is hosting the consortium Web site which gives bibliographic information on each item; access to the digital items is provided through links to the holding library's own Web site. The items on this site are made freely available for scholarly use. Other uses may require permission or credit to the holding repository. Please contact the holding repository for more information.
Rights information for Library of Congress Holdings in the Music Treasures Consortium:
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may be content that is protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permission ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the bibliographic information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding items and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
Items included here with the permission of the rights holders are indicated as such in the bibliographic record for each item.
In some cases, the Library was unable to identify a possible rights holder and has elected to place some of those items online as an exercise of fair use for strictly non-commercial educational uses. The Library of Congress would like to learn more about these materials and would like to hear from individuals or institutions that have any additional information or know of their history. Please contact: Performing Arts Reading Room.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Music Division.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Preottonus, Johannes Franciscus, Johannes De Muris, John Hothby, and Johannes De Muris. Musical Treatises. [to 1477, Monographic, 1465] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2009536768/.
APA citation style:
Preottonus, J. F., Muris, J. D., Hothby, J. & Muris, J. D. (1465) Musical Treatises. [to 1477, Monographic] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2009536768/.
MLA citation style:
Preottonus, Johannes Franciscus, et al. Musical Treatises. [to 1477, Monographic, 1465] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2009536768/>.