Map Pilot chart of the South Atlantic South Atlantic
About this Item
- Pilot chart of the South Atlantic
- South Atlantic
- Maury, Matthew Fontaine, 1806-1873.
- Warrington, L. (Lewis)
- United States. Bureau of Ordnance and Hydrography.
- United States. Hydrographic Office.
- United States Naval Observatory.
Created / Published
- Washington : National Observatory, 1853.
- - Nautical charts--South Atlantic Ocean
- - Winds--South Atlantic Ocean--Charts, diagrams, etc
- - South Atlantic Ocean
- Nautical charts
- - Shows prevailing wind direction by month.
- - The pilot charts were released as series C a part of Maury's "Wind and current charts", series A-F. These charts were designed for sailing ships and recorded wind direction observations made by mariners on previous voyages. For complete discussion, see "The wind and current chart series produced by Matthew Fontaine Maury," by Marc I. Pinsel, in Navigation : Journal of the Institute of Navigation, v. 28, no. 2 (Summer, 1981), p. 123-137.
- - Sheets individually numbered, e.g.: No. 1. Series C, sheet no. 2. Series C; sheets also numbered in upper left margin, e.g.: 12, 13.
- - Includes diagrams and notes in map area with signature of M.F. Maury.
- - Copy imperfect: Mounted on cloth.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- 1 map on 2 sheets ; 88 x 111 cm., sheets 93 x 60 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- G9166.P5 1853 .M2
- G9166.P5 1853 .M2 Only sheet No. 2. Mounted on cloth.
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Maury, Matthew Fontaine
- United States Naval Observatory
- United States. Bureau of Ordnance and Hydrography
- United States. Hydrographic Office
- Warrington, L. (Lewis)
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Maury, Matthew Fontaine, L Warrington, United States Bureau Of Ordnance And Hydrography, United States Hydrographic Office, and United States Naval Observatory. Pilot chart of the South Atlantic. Washington: National Observatory, 1853. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2009575938/.
APA citation style:
Maury, M. F., Warrington, L., United States Bureau Of Ordnance And Hydrography, United States Hydrographic Office & United States Naval Observatory. (1853) Pilot chart of the South Atlantic. Washington: National Observatory. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2009575938/.
MLA citation style:
Maury, Matthew Fontaine, et al. Pilot chart of the South Atlantic. Washington: National Observatory, 1853. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2009575938/>.