About this Item
- [Sanborn Fire Insurance Map Collection].
- Contributor Names
- Sanborn (Firm)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Fire insurance--United States--Maps
- - Real property--United States--Maps
- - Fire insurance--Canada--Maps
- - Real property--Canada--Maps
- - Fire insurance--Mexico--Maps
- - Real property--Mexico--Maps
- - Fire insurance--Cuba--Maps
- - Real property--Cuba--Maps
- - United States
- - North America
- - Consists of the Sanborn fire insurance map holdings of the Geography and Map Division of the Library of Congress. These maps depict the commercial, industrial, and residential sections of approximately 12,000 cities and towns primarily in the United States but also include limited portions of Canada, Cuba, and Mexico. Sanborn maps were designed to assist fire insurance agents in determining the degree of hazard associated with a particular property, therefore typically indicate, among other things, the materials of a building's construction, fire walls, locations of windows, sprinkler systems, types of roofs, property boundaries, building use, house and block numbers, street widths, water mains, hydrants, etc.
- - Some maps bound, some maps loose in portfolios, some maps in ringed binders.
- - Some maps include amendments that are pasted on, updating the information of the original sheet.
- - Checklist and description in: Fire insurance maps in the Library of Congress : plans of North American cities and towns produced by the Sanborn Map Company, published by the Library of Congress, 1981 and available in the Geography & Map Division Reading Room.
- - Maps also available on microfilm.
- ca. 675,000 map sheets : printed items, chiefly hand col. ; sheets 64 x 54 cm. or smaller + ca. 141 street indexes (30 cm. or smaller)
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3701.G475 coll .S3
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sanborn. [Sanborn Fire Insurance Map Collection]. 1867. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://lccn.loc.gov/2009582409. (Accessed October 22, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Sanborn. (1867) [Sanborn Fire Insurance Map Collection]. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://lccn.loc.gov/2009582409.
MLA citation style:
Sanborn. [Sanborn Fire Insurance Map Collection]. 1867. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://lccn.loc.gov/2009582409>.