Map Theatre of operations, Maryland Campaign, September 1862
About this Item
- Theatre of operations, Maryland Campaign, September 1862
- Mattern, H. W.
- Carman, Ezra Ayers, 1834-1909.
Created / Published
- [Washington, D.C.?]
- Night of September 6 1862 -- Night of September 8 1862 -- Night of September 9 1862 -- Night of September 10 1862 -- Night of September 11 1862 -- Night of September 12 1862 -- Night of September 13 1862 -- Night of September 14 1862.
- - Maryland Campaign, 1862--Maps, Manuscript
- - Antietam, Battle of, Md., 1862--Maps
- - Maryland--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Campaigns--Maps
- - Maryland--Maps, Manuscript
- - United States--Maryland
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - The numerous red and blue ink troop position symbols are believed to have been added by hand to the photocopy base maps by Genl. Ezra A. Carman.
- - Maps depict Confederate and Union troop movements in Maryland and Virginia during the week leading up to the Battle of Antietam.
- - Statement at foot of base-map title is lined over in black ink: Taken from atlas accompanying war records.
- - The base maps cover central Maryland including the regions of Baltimore, Washington D.C., Harper's Ferry, and by northern extension to Gettysburg (Pa.).
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Page numbers in red ink at upper right on each sheet: Page 235 -- Page 237 -- Page 239 -- Page 245 -- Page 251 -- Page 262 -- Page 273 -- Page 506.
- - Gift; Dr. Louis D. Carman; 15 July 1912.
- - LC Civil War maps (2nd ed.), 242
- - All 8 base maps are identical.
- - Each sheet is mounted on a paperboard reinforcement with cloth backing attached.
- - Each map is accompanied by a small ms. (ink/pencil) note-pad sheet describing actions shown in the map content area.
- 8 ms. maps : on photocopy bases, hand col. ; 28 x 36 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- G3841.S5 s410 .M3
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Mattern, H. W, and Ezra Ayers Carman. Theatre of operations, Maryland Campaign, September. [Washington, D.C.?, 1862] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2009584566/.
APA citation style:
Mattern, H. W. & Carman, E. A. (1862) Theatre of operations, Maryland Campaign, September. [Washington, D.C.?] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2009584566/.
MLA citation style:
Mattern, H. W, and Ezra Ayers Carman. Theatre of operations, Maryland Campaign, September. [Washington, D.C.?, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2009584566/>.