Maps Map of the Crown Prince Islands, Disco [sic] Bay, Greenland Map of the Crown Prince Islands, Disko Bay, Greenland
About this Item
- Map of the Crown Prince Islands, Disco [sic] Bay, Greenland
- Other Title
- Map of the Crown Prince Islands, Disko Bay, Greenland
- Contributor Names
- Sandgreen, Silas.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Crown Prince Islands (Greenland)--Relief models
- - Crown Prince Islands (Greenland)--Maps, Manuscript
- - Disko Bay (Greenland)--Relief models
- - Disko Bay (Greenland)--Maps, Manuscript
- - Greenland--Crown Prince Islands
- - Greenland--Disko Bay
- - The present model was made by Mr. Sandgreen to represent the kinds of models made in the past by Eskimo ancestors.
- - The wooden pieces were carved to represent the actual landform of the islands and the carvings were attached to the sealskin base within pencil location outlines.
- - Title and other bibliographic information were taken from a typewritten data sheet (3 x 5 in.) affixed to the bottom of the plywood baseboard.
- - Oriented with north toward the upper right (appxrox. 40° west of north).
- - Manuscript: The islands are painted in black, brown, and light blue to represent their actual colors.
- - One of the carved wooden islands is missing adjacent to the left sheet edge near the N.W. corner.
- - Includes north-south direction arrow drawn in lead-pencil at upper right and pencilled no. at sheet edge near the direction arrow.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Vault
- 1 model : wood, col., mounted on sealskin base, nailed to plywood baseboard ; 89 x 61 x 4 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3382.C5C18 1926 .S3
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sandgreen, Silas. [Map of the Crown Prince Islands, Disco sic Bay, Greenland]. 1925. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2009584739/. (Accessed February 25, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Sandgreen, S. (1925) [Map of the Crown Prince Islands, Disco sic Bay, Greenland]. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2009584739/.
MLA citation style:
Sandgreen, Silas. [Map of the Crown Prince Islands, Disco sic Bay, Greenland]. 1925. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/2009584739/>.