Manuscript/Mixed Material The crystal : a record of visions and conferences with the in-dwellers of the spirit world Crystal mss / Crystal m.s. / Crystal manuscripts
About this Item
- The crystal : a record of visions and conferences with the in-dwellers of the spirit world
- Other Title
- Crystal mss
- Crystal m.s.
- Crystal manuscripts
- These volumes are Hockley's manuscript records of his crystal and mirror gazing experiments, v. 4-5, 7-15. He was unable to see anything in the glass himself and reported experiences using as his seer "Crowned Angel" (among others, Emma Louisa Leigh, ca. 1838-1858.) Some passages correspond to those recorded by F.G. Irwin in Hockley's lifetime, including the "Burton episode" (v. 4, leaves 124-5). Cf. The Rosicrucian seer: magical writings of Frederick Hockley, Aquarian Press, 1986, p. 28-29, ff. Vol. 5 has spirit writings bound in at end. Vols. 4, 5, and 7 are indexed by spirit contacts and by subjects. Vol. 13 has a few newspaper clippings mounted on the versos of leaves 32, 33, 49, and 50.
- Contributor Names
- Hockley, Frederick, 1808-1885.
- Harry Houdini Collection (Library of Congress)
- Subject Headings
- - Hockley, Frederick,--1808-1885--Notebooks, sketchbooks, etc
- - Crystal gazing--History--Sources
- - Magic mirrors--History--Sources
- - Clairvoyance--History--Sources
- - Occultism--History--Sources
- - Spirit writings
- - Original volume numbering retained; each v. has t.p. with dates of visions and conferences covering the period from 2 Jan. 1853 to sometime after 9 Mar. 1862 (end date not specified in v. 15). Vol. 14 has no title page, and the vol. numbering appears only on the spine. Each session is numbered; the numbering of contacts begins a new series in v. 15.
- - Accountant, copyist, and crystal gazer, Hockley was a significant figure in the 19th century occult revival. Worked for John Denley as a copyist of occult manuscripts, and with 2 partners practiced as an accountant. Became involved in spiritualism in the 1850s.
- - Bequest: Estate of Harry Houdini, April 1927.
- 11 v. (v. 4-5, 7-15) : ill. (some col.) ; 23 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- BF1335 .H63 1853
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in the documents in this collection. However, some of the content may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights. The determination of the status of an item ultimately rests with the person desiring to reproduce or use the item.
Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division
Availability of Reproductions
To inquire about copies of Rare Book and Special Collections Division items, contact the Photoduplication Service (telephone: 202-707-5640). Orders are accepted by mail and by fax.
The Photoduplication Service estimates that it takes 3-6 weeks to complete an order.
For Further Information
If you have comments or additional questions, please contact us.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Hockley, Frederick, and Harry Houdini Collection. The Crystal: A Record of Visions and Conferences With the In-Dwellers of the Spirit World. 1853. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/2010414646/.
APA citation style:
Hockley, F. & Harry Houdini Collection. (1853) The Crystal: A Record of Visions and Conferences With the In-Dwellers of the Spirit World. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2010414646/.
MLA citation style:
Hockley, Frederick, and Harry Houdini Collection. The Crystal: A Record of Visions and Conferences With the In-Dwellers of the Spirit World. 1853. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2010414646/>.
More Manuscripts/Mixed Material like this
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialA work of angels & spirits which have appeared in my mirror & cristals [sic]
Crowned Angel | Crystal ms. An incomplete holograph ms. describing angels and spirits contacted by Hockley (latest date appearing is for Seven-o-mina, 20 Feb. 1857, p. 81.) A few entries appear complete; most appear incomplete. Last entry...
- Contributor: Harry Houdini Collection (Library of Congress) - Hockley, Frederick
- Date: 1857
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialDissegni originali dell' edizione di Palladio di Giorgis Fossati. Drawings in pen and ink and wash intended for engraving by Fossati and for inclusion in vol. 10 of Muttoni's edition of Andrea Palladio's Architettura (Venice, 1740-48); vol. 10 was never published....
- Contributor: Muttoni, Francesco - Palladio, Andrea - Fossati, Giorgio - Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1739
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialHis Excellency Woodrow Wilson, President of the United States Illuminated manuscript presented to President Woodrow Wilson by Albanian students of the Royal University of Rome, on January 3, 1919. A plea from a group of Albanian students for support for Albania...
- Contributor: Woodrow Wilson Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1919
Manuscript/Mixed Material[Benedictine rule for nuns in Middle English ; a Middle English version of the Gospel of ... Ms. codex. Middle English; some Latin. Title and description derived from the full description in Library of Congress. Medieval and Renaissance manuscript books in the Library of Congress, v. 2, p. 143-154,...
- Contributor: Benedict - Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1400
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialNuevo mundo : descripcion des las Indias occidentales sacado de differentes Auctores fidedignos y traducido de ...
Baltazar Conrado de Nuevo Mundo, or, Description de las Indias Occidentales en Anno 1649 | De Nuevo Mundo | Descripción de las Indias occidentales | Description de las Indias Occidentales Autograph manuscript describing North America, Central and South America, and the Caribbean. Conrrado describes himself as an official of the Inquisition, an honorary officer of the tribunal in Robaina, and translator of...
- Contributor: Phillipps, Thomas - Conrrado, Baltasar - Jay I. Kislak Collection (Library of Congress) - Laet, Joannes De - Del Caretto, Ottone Enrico
- Date: 1649