Manuscript/Mixed Material A work of angels & spirits which have appeared in my mirror & cristals [sic] Crowned Angel / Crystal ms.
About this Item
- A work of angels & spirits which have appeared in my mirror & cristals [sic]
- Other Title
- Crowned Angel
- Crystal ms.
- An incomplete holograph ms. describing angels and spirits contacted by Hockley (latest date appearing is for Seven-o-mina, 20 Feb. 1857, p. 81.) A few entries appear complete; most appear incomplete. Last entry ("Ada") is on p. 97. Pencil port. of Crowned Angel, laid in. Probably supplementary to his manuscript volumes The crystal : a record of visions and conferences with the in-dwellers of the spirit world (LCCN 2010414646). The beginnings of an index are at end.
- Contributor Names
- Hockley, Frederick, 1808-1885.
- Harry Houdini Collection (Library of Congress)
- Subject Headings
- - Hockley, Frederick,--1808-1885--Notebooks, sketchbooks, etc
- - Crystal gazing--History--Sources
- - Magic mirrors--History--Sources
- - Occultism--History--Sources
- - Spirits
- - Title from pencilled entry on prelim. blank.
- - Accountant, copyist, and crystal gazer, Hockley was a significant figure in the 19th century occult revival. Worked for John Denley as a copyist of occult manuscripts, and with 2 partners practiced as an accountant. Became involved in spiritualism in the 1850s.
- - Bequest: Estate of Harry Houdini, April 1927.
- 1 v. (109 p.) : ill. ; 30 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- BF1335 .H632 1857
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in the documents in this collection. However, some of the content may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights. The determination of the status of an item ultimately rests with the person desiring to reproduce or use the item.
Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division
Availability of Reproductions
To inquire about copies of Rare Book and Special Collections Division items, contact the Photoduplication Service (telephone: 202-707-5640). Orders are accepted by mail and by fax.
The Photoduplication Service estimates that it takes 3-6 weeks to complete an order.
For Further Information
If you have comments or additional questions, please contact us.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Hockley, Frederick, and Harry Houdini Collection. A Work of Angels & Spirits Which Have Appeared in My Mirror & Cristals Sic. 1857. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/2010414647/.
APA citation style:
Hockley, F. & Harry Houdini Collection. (1857) A Work of Angels & Spirits Which Have Appeared in My Mirror & Cristals Sic. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2010414647/.
MLA citation style:
Hockley, Frederick, and Harry Houdini Collection. A Work of Angels & Spirits Which Have Appeared in My Mirror & Cristals Sic. 1857. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2010414647/>.
More Manuscripts/Mixed Material like this
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialThe crystal : a record of visions and conferences with the in-dwellers of the spirit world
Crystal mss | Crystal m.s. | Crystal manuscripts These volumes are Hockley's manuscript records of his crystal and mirror gazing experiments, v. 4-5, 7-15. He was unable to see anything in the glass himself and reported experiences using as his...
- Contributor: Harry Houdini Collection (Library of Congress) - Hockley, Frederick
- Date: 1853
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialDissegni originali dell' edizione di Palladio di Giorgis Fossati. Drawings in pen and ink and wash intended for engraving by Fossati and for inclusion in vol. 10 of Muttoni's edition of Andrea Palladio's Architettura (Venice, 1740-48); vol. 10 was never published....
- Contributor: Muttoni, Francesco - Palladio, Andrea - Fossati, Giorgio - Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1739
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialHis Excellency Woodrow Wilson, President of the United States Illuminated manuscript presented to President Woodrow Wilson by Albanian students of the Royal University of Rome, on January 3, 1919. A plea from a group of Albanian students for support for Albania...
- Contributor: Woodrow Wilson Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1919
Manuscript/Mixed Material[Benedictine rule for nuns in Middle English ; a Middle English version of the Gospel of ... Ms. codex. Middle English; some Latin. Title and description derived from the full description in Library of Congress. Medieval and Renaissance manuscript books in the Library of Congress, v. 2, p. 143-154,...
- Contributor: Benedict - Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1400
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialNuevo mundo : descripcion des las Indias occidentales sacado de differentes Auctores fidedignos y traducido de ...
Baltazar Conrado de Nuevo Mundo, or, Description de las Indias Occidentales en Anno 1649 | De Nuevo Mundo | Descripción de las Indias occidentales | Description de las Indias Occidentales Autograph manuscript describing North America, Central and South America, and the Caribbean. Conrrado describes himself as an official of the Inquisition, an honorary officer of the tribunal in Robaina, and translator of...
- Contributor: Phillipps, Thomas - Conrrado, Baltasar - Jay I. Kislak Collection (Library of Congress) - Laet, Joannes De - Del Caretto, Ottone Enrico
- Date: 1649