Map Pilot chart of the North Pacific North Pacific
About this Item
- Pilot chart of the North Pacific
- North Pacific
- Maury, Matthew Fontaine, 1806-1873.
- Morris, Charles, 1784-1856.
- United States. Bureau of Ordnance and Hydrography.
- United States. Hydrographic Office.
- United States Naval Observatory.
Created / Published
- Washington : United States Naval Observatory, 1852-1853.
- Sheet 1. 1853 -- sheet 2. 1853 -- sheet 3. 1853 -- sheet 5. 1852 -- sheet 6. 1852.
- - Winds--North Pacific Ocean--Charts, diagrams, etc
- - Nautical charts--North Pacific Ocean
- - North Pacific Ocean--Charts, diagrams, etc
- - North Pacific Ocean
- Nautical charts
- - Shows prevailing wind direction by month.
- - Sheet 1 is mistitled; it covers the northwestern Indian Ocean near Somalia and the Arabian Peninsula. This area is also covered on part of the Pilot chart of the North Indian Ocean.
- - "Series C. No. 1."
- - Sheets individually numbered, e.g.: Series C No. 1., Sheet no. 2. Series C; sheets also numbered in upper left margin, e.g.: 66, 67, 68, 70, 71.
- - The pilot charts were released as series C of Maury's "Wind and current charts," series A-F. These charts were designed for sailing ships and recorded wind direction observations made by mariners on previous voyages. For complete discussion, see "The wind and current chart series produced by Matthew Fontaine Maury," by Marc I. Pinsel, in Navigation : Journal of the Institute of Navigation, v. 28, no. 2 (Summer, 1981), p. 123-137.
- - Includes diagrams and notes in map area with signature of M.F. Maury.
- - Copy imperfect: Torn and repaired along fold lines and edges. Discoloration throughout.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- 1 map on 6 sheets ; 88 x 111 cm., sheets 93 x 62 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- G9236.P5 1852 .M2
- G9236.P5 1852 .M2 Copy 2 Vault : Maury C8 Sheets 1-3, 5-6 Torn and repaired along fold lines.
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Maury, Matthew Fontaine
- Morris, Charles
- United States Naval Observatory
- United States. Bureau of Ordnance and Hydrography
- United States. Hydrographic Office
Rights & Access
Rights and Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
More about American Memory, Copyright and other Restrictions
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Electronic Sources on the Learning Page.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Maury, Matthew Fontaine, Charles Morris, United States Bureau Of Ordnance And Hydrography, United States Hydrographic Office, and United States Naval Observatory. Pilot chart of the North Pacific. Washington: United States Naval Observatory, to 1853, 1852. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2010586381/.
APA citation style:
Maury, M. F., Morris, C., United States Bureau Of Ordnance And Hydrography, United States Hydrographic Office & United States Naval Observatory. (1852) Pilot chart of the North Pacific. Washington: United States Naval Observatory, to 1853. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2010586381/.
MLA citation style:
Maury, Matthew Fontaine, et al. Pilot chart of the North Pacific. Washington: United States Naval Observatory, to 1853, 1852. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2010586381/>.