Maps Map of Virginia : showing the distribution of its slave population from the census of 1860
About this Item
- Map of Virginia : showing the distribution of its slave population from the census of 1860
- Contributor Names
- Graham, H. S. (Henry S.)
- Hergesheimer, E. (Edwin)
- Created / Published
- Washington : Henry S. Graham, 1861.
- Subject Headings
- - Slavery--Virginia--History--19th century--Maps
- - African Americans--Virginia--History--19th century
- - Virginia--History--1775-1865--Maps
- - Virginia--Population--History--19th century--Maps
- - United States--Virginia
- - West Virginia shown as Kanawha.
- - "Washington, June 13th, 1861."
- - "Entered according to Act of Congress, A.D. 1861 by Henry S. Graham, in the Clerk's Office of the District of Columbia."
- - "Sold for the benefit of the sick and wounded of the U.S. Army."
- - "Census Office, Dept. of the Interior, Washington, Sept. 9th, 1861. After a careful examination of this very interesting map I am prepared to state that it not only furnishes the evidences of great care in its preparation but can be relied on as corresponding with the official returns of the 8th Census. [signed] Jos. C. G. Kennedy, Superintendent."
- - Includes population table based on census of 1860 by county and comparison table of Virginia and Kanawha.
- - Blue taped border around map.
- - Manuscript annotation in lower right corner: Presented to ... . Also annotated in red ink in lower margin: Drawer 47, portfolio 1 no. 24.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- 1 map ; 48 x 69 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3881.E9 1861 .G71
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Graham, H. S, and E Hergesheimer. Map of Virginia: showing the distribution of its slave population from the census of 1860. Washington: Henry S. Graham, 1861. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2010586922/. (Accessed August 27, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Graham, H. S. & Hergesheimer, E. (1861) Map of Virginia: showing the distribution of its slave population from the census of 1860. Washington: Henry S. Graham. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2010586922/.
MLA citation style:
Graham, H. S, and E Hergesheimer. Map of Virginia: showing the distribution of its slave population from the census of 1860. Washington: Henry S. Graham, 1861. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/2010586922/>.