Map [Map of western South America].
About this Item
- [Map of western South America].
- Contributor Names
- Mercator, Gerhard, 1512-1594.
- Thevet, André, 1502-1590.
- Created / Published
- [Duisburg?: s.n., 1569?]
- Subject Headings
- - South America--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - South America
- - Relief shown pictorially.
- - Title supplied by cataloger.
- - Attributed to Gerard Mercator? Cf. Philip D. Burden's letter, April 14, 1994, to James Flatness.
- - In cartouche: Celeberrimæ prouinciæ in America versus occidentem ... Andreas Theuetus Latius hoc commemorat.
- - In lower border: Meridies.
- - Includes note and ill.
- - LC copy incomplete: One sheet of 6 sheets?
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- 1 map ; on sheet 55 x 43 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G5200 1569 .M2
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Mercator, Gerhard, and André Thevet. Map of western South America. [Duisburg?: s.n., ?, 1569] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2010592481/.
APA citation style:
Mercator, G. & Thevet, A. (1569) Map of western South America. [Duisburg?: s.n., ?] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2010592481/.
MLA citation style:
Mercator, Gerhard, and André Thevet. Map of western South America. [Duisburg?: s.n., ?, 1569] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2010592481/>.
More Maps like this
MapIrlandiae regnum. Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- Contributor: Mercator, Gerhard
- Date: 16??
MapLe novveav monde descovvert et illvstre de nostre temps
Nouveau monde descouvert et illustre de nostre temps Relief shown pictorially. Woodcut. Includes illustrations and notes. Described in the Library of Congress Quarterly Journal of current acquisitions, v. 6 no. 3 May 1949. p. 20-21. LC copy mounted on cloth....
- Contributor: Chaudière, Guillaume - Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection (Library of Congress) - Thevet, André
- Date: 1581
MapA new map of South America, shewing it's general divisions, chief cities & towns, rivers, mountains ... Relief shown pictorially. Transferred from the Rosenwald Collection, Library of Congress. Appears in various editions of Well's "A new sett of maps ..." published from 1700 to 1738. Available also through the...
- Contributor: Rosenwald, Lessing J. (Lessing Julius) - Cole, B. (Benjamin) - Wells, Edward
- Date: 1700
MapA general map of South America : from the best surveys, 1796 Relief shown by hachures. Prime meridian: London. Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- Contributor: Tanner, Benjamin - Winterbotham, William
- Date: 1796
MapA map of South America : according to the best authorities. Relief shown by hachures. "Engraved for Carey's American edition of Guthrie's Geography improved." Prime meridian: Philadelphia. Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- Contributor: Guthrie, William - Carey, Mathew
- Date: 1796