Map [Map of western South America].
About this Item
- [Map of western South America].
- Contributor Names
- Mercator, Gerhard, 1512-1594.
- Thevet, André, 1502-1590.
- Created / Published
- [Duisburg?: s.n., 1569?]
- Subject Headings
- - South America--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - South America
- - Relief shown pictorially.
- - Title supplied by cataloger.
- - Attributed to Gerard Mercator? Cf. Philip D. Burden's letter, April 14, 1994, to James Flatness.
- - In cartouche: Celeberrimæ prouinciæ in America versus occidentem ... Andreas Theuetus Latius hoc commemorat.
- - In lower border: Meridies.
- - Includes note and ill.
- - LC copy incomplete: One sheet of 6 sheets?
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- 1 map ; on sheet 55 x 43 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G5200 1569 .M2
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Mercator, Gerhard, and André Thevet. Map of western South America. [Duisburg?: s.n., ?, 1569] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2010592481/.
APA citation style:
Mercator, G. & Thevet, A. (1569) Map of western South America. [Duisburg?: s.n., ?] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2010592481/.
MLA citation style:
Mercator, Gerhard, and André Thevet. Map of western South America. [Duisburg?: s.n., ?, 1569] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2010592481/>.
More Maps like this
MapIrlandiae regnum. Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- Contributor: Mercator, Gerhard
- Date: 16??
MapA new map of South America, shewing it's general divisions, chief cities & towns; rivers, mountains ... Scale ca. 1:23,000,000. Relief shown pictorially. Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image. LC copy annotated in black ink: This is map no. 40 of Wells...
- Contributor: Cole, (Benjamin) - Cole
- Date: 1722
MapL'Amerique meridionale, dressée sur les observations de Mrs. de l'Academie Royale des Sciences & quelques autres, ... Scale ca. 1:18,500,000. Hand colored. Relief shown pictorially. Prime meridian: Ferro. Imprint date from R. V. Tooley's French mapping of the Americas, item 66. "Je rends raison dans ma Nouvelle introduction a...
- Contributor: L'isle, Guillaume De - Guérard, Nicholas
- Date: 1708
MapCarte du Paraguay, du Chili, du Detroit de Magellan &c. Dressée sur les descriptions des PP. ... Scale ca. 1:9,000,000. Hand colored. Relief shown pictorially. Prime meridian: Ferro. Imprint date from R. V. Tooley's French mapping of the Americas, item 80. Cartouche engraved by C. Simonneau. Available also through...
- Contributor: L'isle, Guillaume De - Simonneau, Charles - Liebaux, Henri
- Date: 1718
MapCarte de la Terre Ferme, du Perou, du Bresil et du Pays des Amazones. Scale ca. 1:9,000,000. Hand colored. Relief shown pictorially. Imprint date from R. V. Tooley's French mapping of the Americas, item 73. Below cartouche: C.S., s. Available also through the Library of Congress...
- Contributor: L'isle, Guillaume De
- Date: 1718