Map [Map of the Western Hemisphere]
About this Item
- [Map of the Western Hemisphere]
- Contributor Names
- Straet, Jan van der, 1523-1605.
- Galle, Théodore, 1571-1633.
- Created / Published
- [Antwerp : Galle, 1590?]
- Subject Headings
- - Western Hemisphere--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Discoveries in geography--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Scientific discoveries in art
- - Science, Medieval, in art
- - Inventions in art
- - Inventions--Pictorial works
- - Western Hemisphere
- Early maps
- - Title plate to Nova Reperta, a series of engravings after drawings by Stradanus published by Galle in Antwerp.
- - Shows Christopher Columbus pointing to a map of the Western Hemisphere. New France and Florida are indicated in North America.
- - In addition to the map, notable developments in science and technology of the late 16th century are illustrated.
- - Mounted on paper.
- - LC copy imperfect: Margins trimmed. Minor repairs at upper left and upper center.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- 1 map ; on sheet 20 x 27 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3290 1590 .S7
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Straet, Jan Van Der, and Théodore Galle. Map of the Western Hemisphere. [Antwerp: Galle, ?, 1590] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2011594456/.
APA citation style:
Straet, J. V. D. & Galle, T. (1590) Map of the Western Hemisphere. [Antwerp: Galle, ?] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2011594456/.
MLA citation style:
Straet, Jan Van Der, and Théodore Galle. Map of the Western Hemisphere. [Antwerp: Galle, ?, 1590] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2011594456/>.
More Maps like this
MapTabula nouarum insularum, quas diuersis respectibus Occidentales & Indianas uocant.
Tabula novarum insularum, quas diversis respectibus Occidentales & Indianas vocant | Nouus orbis, qui insulas habet Indici Oceani ... Relief shown pictorially. Has the word "Americam" in South America. Appears in the author's Cosmographiae universalis. Basel, Switzerland. 1559. Woodcut. Includes illustrations. LC copy imperfect: Fold-lined. Missing extreme upper right corner, minor...
- Contributor: Münster, Sebastian
- Date: 1559
MapA new map of the whole continent of America : divided into north and south and ... Relief shown pictorially. Appears in the author's A general atlas describing the whole universe. London : Sayer and Bennett, 1777. Prime meridian: Ferro. Includes inset "The supplement to North America containing the...
- Contributor: Robert Sayer and John Bennett (Firm) - Pownall, Thomas - Kitchin, Thomas - Anville, Jean Baptiste Bourguignon D
- Date: 1777
MapCarte de l'Amerique : corrigeé, et augmenteé, dessus toutes les aultres cy devant.
Carte de l'Ameriqve : Relief shown pictorially. Appears in the author's Carte generale de France et de ses nouuelles acquisitions. Paris, 1661. Includes inset of the north pole region, inset of the south pole region, text...
- Contributor: Berey, Nicolas
- Date: 1661
MapNle. carte d'Amerique : dressée sur les mémoires les plus récens et assujetie aux derniers observations ...
Nouvelle carte d'Amerique | Amerique septentrionale et meridionale : Relief shown pictorially. Originally published in 1770. Prime meridian: Ferro. Gift; Raymond Nasher; October, 1998. Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image. Includes inset of the...
- Contributor: Desnos, Louis-Charles
- Date: 1781
MapL'Amerique, divisée en tous ses pays et etats : dressée sur de nouveaux mémoires et sur ... Relief shown pictorially. Oriented with north to the left. Wheat, C.I. Mapping the transmississippi West, 133 Includes inset of eastern and western hemispheres, text, and cartouche. Available also through the Library of...
- Contributor: Janvier, Jean Denis - Longchamps, Sébastian G. - Chambon, Gobert-Denis
- Date: 1754