Photo, Print, Drawing Zippy. "Tragic ending" / Bill Griffith.
Full online access to this resource is only available at the Library of Congress.
About this Item
- Zippy. "Tragic ending" / Bill Griffith.
- Four panel comic strip shows Zippy receiving a large shipment of "Atomic Duck" comic books, which he and his "comics buff" friend "Intal" spend days "examining & cataloging". At the end of the week, Zippy is sitting with his friend Zerbina when a "registered letter" arrives from "Sherwin T. Mishkin, the son of the famous 'Atomic Duck' background inker"; she asks him what it says and Zippy replies "He says his father would have wanted us to give everything to th' Library of Congress!"
- Contributor Names
- Griffith, Bill, 1944-, artist
- Created / Published
- 2007 Oct. 5, c2007.
- Subject Headings
- - Comic books--2000-2010
- - Collectors--2000-2010
- - Gifts--2000-2010
- Ink drawings--2000-2010.
- Ink drawings--2000-2010
- - Title from item.
- - Signed in ink "Bill Griffth" above fourth panel and dated "10-5 Griffy" within third panel.
- - Copyright 2007 by Bill Griffith. World rights reserved. Distributed by King Features Syndicate.
- - Exhibited: "Timely and Timeless" at the Graphic Arts Galleries, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C., 2011-2012.
- - Exhibited: "Comic Art: 120 Years of Panels and Pages" at the Library of Congress, Thomas Jefferson Building, Graphic Arts Gallery, September 12, 2019 - March 21, 2020.
- 1 drawing : pen and ink, opaque white, and graphite, with paste-ons ; sheet 14.5 x 36.8 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- Unprocessed in PR 13 CN 2008:048.02 [item] [P&P]
- Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print
- Digital Id
- ppmsca 31376 //hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ppmsca.31376
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Reproduction Number
- LC-DIG-ppmsca-31376 (digital file from original drawing)
- Rights Advisory
- Rights status not evaluated. For general information see "Copyright and Other Restrictions...," https://www.loc.gov/rr/print/195_copr.html
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- Modern Life in Comic Strips - Timely and Timeless: New Comic Art Acquisitions
- Exhibition: "Timely and Timeless: New Comic Art Acquisitions"
- Zippy Goes National | Late-Twentieth Century and Onward: 1970s–2000s | Explore | Comic Art: 120 Years of Panels and Pages | Exhibitions at the Library of Congress
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
- Rights Advisory: Rights status not evaluated. For general information see "Copyright and Other Restrictions...," https://www.loc.gov/rr/print/195_copr.html
- Reproduction Number: LC-DIG-ppmsca-31376 (digital file from original drawing)
- Call Number: Unprocessed in PR 13 CN 2008:048.02 [item] [P&P]
- Access Advisory: ---
If an image is displaying, you can download it yourself. (Some images display only as thumbnails outside the Library of Congress because of rights considerations, but you have access to larger size images on site.)
Alternatively, you can purchase copies of various types through Library of Congress Duplication Services.
- If a digital image is displaying: The qualities of the digital image partially depend on whether it was made from the original or an intermediate such as a copy negative or transparency. If the Reproduction Number field above includes a reproduction number that starts with LC-DIG..., then there is a digital image that was made directly from the original and is of sufficient resolution for most publication purposes.
If there is information listed in the Reproduction Number field above:
You can use the reproduction number to purchase a copy from Duplication Services. It will be
made from the source listed in the parentheses after the number.
If only black-and-white ("b&w") sources are listed and you desire a copy showing color or tint (assuming the original has any), you can generally purchase a quality copy of the original in color by citing the Call Number listed above and including the catalog record ("About This Item") with your request.
- If there is no information listed in the Reproduction Number field above: You can generally purchase a quality copy through Duplication Services. Cite the Call Number listed above and include the catalog record ("About This Item") with your request.
Price lists, contact information, and order forms are available on the Duplication Services Web site.
Access to Originals
Please use the following steps to determine whether you need to fill out a call slip in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room to view the original item(s). In some cases, a surrogate (substitute image) is available, often in the form of a digital image, a copy print, or microfilm.
Is the item digitized? (A thumbnail (small) image will be visible on the left.)
Yes, the item is digitized.
Please use the digital image in preference to requesting the original. All images can be
viewed at a large size when you are in any reading room at the Library of Congress. In some
cases, only thumbnail (small) images are available when you are outside the Library of
Congress because the item is rights restricted or has not been evaluated for rights
As a preservation measure, we generally do not serve an original item when a digital image is available. If you have a compelling reason to see the original, consult with a reference librarian. (Sometimes, the original is simply too fragile to serve. For example, glass and film photographic negatives are particularly subject to damage. They are also easier to see online where they are presented as positive images.)
- No, the item is not digitized. Please go to #2.
- Yes, the item is digitized. Please use the digital image in preference to requesting the original. All images can be viewed at a large size when you are in any reading room at the Library of Congress. In some cases, only thumbnail (small) images are available when you are outside the Library of Congress because the item is rights restricted or has not been evaluated for rights restrictions.
Do the Access Advisory or Call Number fields above indicate that a non-digital surrogate exists, such as microfilm or copy prints?
- Yes, another surrogate exists. Reference staff can direct you to this surrogate.
- No, another surrogate does not exist. Please go to #3.
- If you do not see a thumbnail image or a reference to another surrogate, please fill out a call slip in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room. In many cases, the originals can be served in a few minutes. Other materials require appointments for later the same day or in the future. Reference staff can advise you in both how to fill out a call slip and when the item can be served.
To contact Reference staff in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room, please use our Ask A Librarian service or call the reading room between 8:30 and 5:00 at 202-707-6394, and Press 3.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Griffith, Bill, Artist. Zippy. "Tragic ending" / Bill Griffith. , ca. 2007. 2007 Oct. 5. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2011647557/.
APA citation style:
Griffith, B. (ca. 2007) Zippy. "Tragic ending" / Bill Griffith. , ca. 2007. 2007 Oct. 5. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2011647557/.
MLA citation style:
Griffith, Bill, Artist. Zippy. "Tragic ending" / Bill Griffith. 2007 Oct. 5. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2011647557/>.
More Photos, Prints, Drawings like this
Photo, Print, DrawingZippy. "About face (#6)" 1 drawing : India ink, tonal film overlay, and opaque white over graphite underdrawing, with paste-ons ; 14.6 x 36.8 cm (sheet) | Single-panel comic strip shows Zippy and his friend Griffy...
- Contributor: Griffith, Bill
- Date: 1988-06-07
Photo, Print, Drawing1969. [Conclusion of four page comic] 1 drawing : ink, blue pencil, and graphite ; sheet 42 x 29 cm. | Last of four pages for comic shows woman dancing with Wonder Wart-hog (a hallucination), and man commenting...
- Contributor: Robbins, Trina
- Date: 1988
Photo, Print, Drawing1969. Haw! This Wonder Warthog is out-fucking-rageous! 1 drawing : ink, blue pencil, and graphite ; sheet 42 x 29 cm. | First of four pages for comic shows title-block and two panels with man reading Wonder Wart-hog comic...
- Contributor: Robbins, Trina
- Date: 1986
Photo, Print, DrawingJungle Jim by Alex Raymond Flash Gordon / 2 drawings : ink over graphite underdrawing ; 32 x 66.5 cm. (sheet, Jungle Jim) ; 52.5 x 66.5 cm. (sheet, Flash Gordon) | Two Sunday cartoon strips. Five-panel strip of Jungle...
- Contributor: Raymond, Alex
- Date: 1935
Photo, Print, Drawing[Li'l Abner.] It haint hoomin, thass what it haint!! He's every thing "The Flying Avenger" should ... 1 drawing on layered paper : ink over graphite underdrawing ; 17 x 57.8 cm (sheet) | Four-panel comic strip shows Li'l Abner in New York looking for his Mammy and Pappy....
- Contributor: Capp, AL
- Date: 1941