Manuscript/Mixed Material Diary and daily journal of David Homer Bates.
About this Item
- Diary and daily journal of David Homer Bates.
- Diary and daily journal written by David Homer Bates from the Alfred Stern Collection at the Library of Congress. Bates worked in the telegraph office during the Lincoln administration. He chronicles the movements of the Civil War as well as noting important events of the day. It also gives a daily account of Bates comings and goings in the Washington, D.C. area.
- Bates, David Homer, 1843-1926, author.
- Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- Washington, D.C. : D.H. Bates, 1863-1865.
- - Bates, David Homer,--1843-1926--Diaries
- - United States.--Military Telegraph Corps--Biography
- - United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Communications
- - Telegraphers--United States--Diaries
- - Military telegraph--United States--History--19th century
- - Lincoln, Abraham,--1809-1865
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- - Page bound in title leaf position: "D.H. Bates, Washington, D.C., Nov. 12th 1863."
- - Diary is 231 numbered pages; first entry in diary: Friday, Nov. 13, 1863; last entry in diary: Friday, Sept. 30, 1864. Daily journal begins October 1, 1864 and includes entries through Wednesday May 31, 1865.
- - "Rough index" bound in at end (2 pages).
- - "Rebound 1907."
- - Title devised by cataloger.
- 1 volume (various pagings)
Call Number/Physical Location
- E608 .B28 1863
Library of Congress Control Number
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in the documents in this collection. However, some of the content may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights. The determination of the status of an item ultimately rests with the person desiring to reproduce or use the item.
Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division
Availability of Reproductions
To inquire about copies of Rare Book and Special Collections Division items, contact the Photoduplication Service (telephone: 202-707-5640). Orders are accepted by mail and by fax.
The Photoduplication Service estimates that it takes 3-6 weeks to complete an order.
For Further Information
If you have comments or additional questions, please contact us.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Bates, David Homer, Author, and Alfred Whital Stern Collection Of Lincolniana. Diary and daily journal of David Homer Bates. Washington, D.C.: D.H. Bates, to 1865, 1863. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/2011655153/.
APA citation style:
Bates, D. H. & Alfred Whital Stern Collection Of Lincolniana. (1863) Diary and daily journal of David Homer Bates. Washington, D.C.: D.H. Bates, to 1865. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2011655153/.
MLA citation style:
Bates, David Homer, Author, and Alfred Whital Stern Collection Of Lincolniana. Diary and daily journal of David Homer Bates. Washington, D.C.: D.H. Bates, to 1865, 1863. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2011655153/>.