Book/Printed Material Qin ding fang yu lu cheng kao lüe. 欽定方輿路程考略. / Qin ding huang yu quan lan / Fang yu lu cheng kao lüe
Show more resources (7)
About this Item
- Qin ding fang yu lu cheng kao lüe.
- Qin ding huang yu quan lan
- Fang yu lu cheng kao lüe
- Manuscript describes roads and traffic in Shanxi Province. The book was written by Wang Shihong and other scholars in 1707-1708, and was named Qin ding huang yu quan lan. This edition was not completed before the Period of Emperor Qianlong (1736-1795); however, it is noted that a complete version of this title was preserved within the Palace at that time.
- This work is an incomplete manuscript in three volumes, probably one of the earliest official atlases of the Qing dynasty, which began in 1644. The title, Qin ding fang yu lu cheng kao lue (Geographic surveys by the imperial order), on the cover of volume three, was crossed out at a later date and replaced in red ink with Qin ding huang yu quan lan (Complete atlas by the imperial order). A label on the same cover reads, "these are the draft copies for the compilation at Wu ying dian [the imperial printing press and bindery], and were originally the property of Li Qiyuan [a scholar and member of the Hanlin Academy]." The compilation of this work was by Wang Shihong (1658-1723) and others during the 46th and 47th years of the Kangxi reign (1707-8). The three volumes chiefly document counties and prefectures of most, but not all, of Shanxi Province, as well as the roads continuing into the neighboring provinces of Henan and Shaanxi, in northeast-central China. At the time of the Kangxi reign (1622-1762), the work neither seemed to have been finished nor printed in its entirety. It is unknown whether there ever was a complete copy of this atlas. World Digital Library.
- Wang, Shihong, 1658-1723.
- Chinese Rare Book Collection (Library of Congress).
Created / Published
- [China : s.n.], Qing Kangxi 47 nian 
- - Shanxi Sheng (China) Roads
- - 山西省 (China) Roads
- - Also available in digital form.
- - 九行二十二字 小字雙行. Nine lines, with twenty-two characters per line; small characters in paired lines.
- - 有些朱筆點讀蓋過原文，須盡量調校淡化朱筆墨色.
- - 殘存三冊一函. Three volumes in one case; incomplete.
- - 第一冊題：「欽定方輿路程考略」，記山西省城陽曲縣至河南懷慶府河內縣界路。第二冊題：「欽定皇輿全覽」，記山西五府三州小路路程下。第三冊題：「欽定方輿路程考略」，又用硃筆改為「欽定皇輿全覽」，記山西蔚州至渾源州北岳，天城衛至陜西寧夏，寧武所至偏頭關，陽曲縣至陜西榆林，陽曲縣至陜西府谷縣陸路路程。全在山西境內，然山西一省猶未全。如第二冊右上角記云「上五下六」，蓋謂「小路路程下」為第六冊，上為第五冊也。攷清史稿藝文志有：「方輿路程考略，不分卷，康熙時汪士鋐等奉敕撰。」又皇朝文獻通考卷一百二十三經籍攷云：「欽定方輿路程考略，不分卷。臣等謹案是書無刊本，康熙中中允汪士鋐等奉敕撰進。以各直省為經，以府州縣為緯。各直省及各府州縣皆序以次，首考至京師路程，次考四境壤接之道里遠近，兼詳厯代建置沿革，旁及山川關梁古蹟寺觀祠墓。至若皇朝肇建之規模，聖製詩文之美富，敬謹記載，用昭明備而古今藝文足資考證者，亦間錄云。」則纂修通考時，宮中殆猶有是書全稿本，而四庫全書總目不著於錄者，殆又因是書未有定本，或始終未有成書之故。沈彤撰汪士鋐行狀稱：「先生所撰書，其奉敕纂修者，全唐詩外有皇輿全覽」，觀此三冊所題，及藝文志通考行狀所稱，疑方輿路程考略與皇輿全覽實為一書，方輿路程考略者為初擬之名，而皇輿全覽則為後來擬定之名也。通考稱士鋐纂書時官中允，又按行狀云：「康熙四十六年下赴京，特陛右春坊右中允，兼翰林院編修，充日講官起居注。未幾轉左。四十七年以丁繼母憂去官，遂不復補。」則是書應纂修於康熙四十七年之間。陶湘撰清代殿板書目，載其所購欽定皇輿全覽殘本三十九卷，又欽定方輿路程考略殘本十六冊，不言兩書有關係，疑所得均是過錄本，此三冊則纂修時稿本也。又第三冊封面有籤記云：「此三冊係武英殿開館纂修底稿，乃壽光李琪園故物也。內加丹黃皆總裁手蹟，讀此可知修書之法。」琪園名鐸，字振文壽光人。乾隆二十八年進士，欽點清書庶吉士，散館授翰林院檢討，兼武英殿國史館三通館纂修起居注官。則籤記者似以為乾隆間武英殿修書底稿，而不知為康熙間底稿也。卷內有：「宗室盛昱之印」，「聖清宗室盛昱伯羲之印」等印記.
- 3 v.
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Wang, Shihong, and Chinese Rare Book Collection. Qin Ding Fang Yu Lu Cheng Kao Lüe. [China: s.n., Qing Kangxi 47 nian, 1708] Image. https://www.loc.gov/item/2012402090/.
APA citation style:
Wang, S. & Chinese Rare Book Collection. (1708) Qin Ding Fang Yu Lu Cheng Kao Lüe. [China: s.n., Qing Kangxi 47 nian] [Image] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2012402090/.
MLA citation style:
Wang, Shihong, and Chinese Rare Book Collection. Qin Ding Fang Yu Lu Cheng Kao Lüe. [China: s.n., Qing Kangxi 47 nian, 1708] Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2012402090/>.