Book/Printed Material Ben cao gang mu shi yi : shi juan, zheng wu yi juan 本草綱目拾遺 : 十卷, 正誤一卷 / / Gang mu shi yi
Show more resources (4)
About this Item
- Ben cao gang mu shi yi : shi juan, zheng wu yi juan
- 本草綱目拾遺 : 十卷, 正誤一卷 /
- Gang mu shi yi
- This work is a supplement to the 16th-century Ben cao gang mu (Compendium of materia medica) in manuscript form, of 11 juan, in 20 volumes, compiled by Zhao Xuemin (circa 1719-1805), a native of Qiantang (present-day Hangzhou), Zhejiang Province. The book is considered the most important medical work of the Qing dynasty. Zhao Xuemin was the son of a renowned physician, and both he and his brother followed in their father's footsteps. Zhao was known as an avid collector of medical, pharmacological, and astrological works. He cultivated an herbal garden, tested the properties of various plants, and operated a clinic. This work originally was a part of the 100-volume series entitled Liji shi er zhong (Twelve series of Liji), which Zhao completed over decades of collecting and arranging. The work was grouped in 12 categories, encompassing various medical topics relating to diseases, cures, and materia medica, including folk medicine. Of the 12 categories, only two are extant, and these were revised and printed by Zhang Yingchang in the tenth year of the Tongzhi reign (1871). The preface to this manuscript states that it took the author 40 years to complete the work, between 1765 and 1805, during the reigns of Qing emperors Jiaqing and Qianlong. Notwithstanding the lapse of more than 200 years since the publication of Li Shizhen's Ben cao gang mu, Zhao attempted to fill certain gaps he had found in the earlier compendium. He corrected a number of errors and added a more than 700 medicinal drugs, chiefly taken from the folk tradition. The book has a preface by the author. World Digital Library.
- Zhao, Xuemin, 1719-1805, ji.
- Zhang, Yingchang, 1790-1874, jiao, ke.
- Chinese Rare Book Collection (Library of Congress).
Created / Published
- [China : Zhang Yingchang, Qing Tongzhi 10 nian, 1871]
- - Also available in digital form.
- - 九行十八字. Nine lines, with eighteen characters per line.
- - 冊四函. Twenty volumes in four cases.
- - 原題:「錢塘趙學敏恕軒氏輯。」學敏撰利濟十二種，凡百卷，綱目拾遺其一也。是書有同治十年張應昌校刻本，應昌跋云:「鮑氏彙刻書目亦載十二種之目，但有傳鈔本，皆未刻。至嘉慶末年，傳鈔本則只有是編與串雅二種，其十種已不傳。且是編每藥品下論列各條，顛倒錯亂，眉目不晰。余因訪知杭醫連翁楚珍藏其稿本，假閱乃先生手輯未繕清本者。初稿紙短，續補之條，皆黏於上方，黏條殆滿，而未注所排序次，故傳鈔錯亂耳。余乃按其體例，以稿本校正排比傳鈔本之誤，然後各條朗若列眉，還其舊觀。原稿本仍歸返連翁。迨庚申寇亂，翁家原稿本亡失，余編繕此本，幸攜帶僅存。」卷內有:「江山劉履芬彥清手收得」印記，猶是同治十年以前寫本，殆即張應昌所指之傳鈔本也。持與刻本相校，編次時有不同，然長短互見，有不能以彼廢此者。按學敏自序署乾隆三十年，而卷內所記，有晚至嘉慶八年事者。蓋學敏業此書幾四十年，其用力之久，又加李時珍十年也。利濟十二種序乾隆三十五年 (1770)，自序乾隆三十年 (1765).
- - 清抄本. Qing Dynasty manuscript, printed in 1871.
- - One of twelve medical books composed by Zhao Xuemin; verified and printed by Zhang Yingchang in 1871 as a manuscript version. Comparing with the woodblock print, the orders of content are partly different. Self-introduction by Zhao Xuemin in 1765; includes records dating until 1803.
- 20 v.
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Zhao, Xuemin, Ji, Yingchang Zhang, and Chinese Rare Book Collection. Ben Cao Gang Mu Shi Yi: Shi Juan, Zheng Wu Yi Juan. [China: Zhang Yingchang, Qing Tongzhi 10 nian, 1573] Image. https://www.loc.gov/item/2012402163/.
APA citation style:
Zhao, X., Zhang, Y. & Chinese Rare Book Collection. (1573) Ben Cao Gang Mu Shi Yi: Shi Juan, Zheng Wu Yi Juan. [China: Zhang Yingchang, Qing Tongzhi 10 nian] [Image] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2012402163/.
MLA citation style:
Zhao, Xuemin, Ji, Yingchang Zhang, and Chinese Rare Book Collection. Ben Cao Gang Mu Shi Yi: Shi Juan, Zheng Wu Yi Juan. [China: Zhang Yingchang, Qing Tongzhi 10 nian, 1573] Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2012402163/>.