Book/Printed Material Mian hua tu. 棉花圖. / Yu ti Mian hua tu
About this Item
- Mian hua tu.
- Yu ti Mian hua tu
- Fang Guancheng created the paintings and poems in this book. The essays inside the book were created to correspond with the illustrations. The book praises the fine cotton that grew near the capital which was used to weave good cloth and was sold to the regions of Yellow River Valley and Korea, and reports to the Emperor verify that this was true. Each illustration is accompanied by two poems and an essay about the techniques of planting and weaving cotton. One poem was composed the by Emperor Ganlong (Qianlong), the other by Fang. Each illustration had its own title.
- This book is comprised of paintings by Fang Guancheng, with illustrations and text facing each other. The text is the same as in Fang's memorial (on the cotton industry); the illustrations are slightly different. The first volume contains eight pictures, from "Planting" to "Ginning;" the second volume contains another eight pictures, from "Fluffing the Cotton" to "Bleaching and Dyeing." World Digital Library.
- Fang, Guancheng, 1698-1768.
- Qianlong, Emperor of China, 1711-1799, shu.
- Chinese Rare Book Collection (Library of Congress).
Created / Published
- [China : s.n., Qing Qianlong 30 nian, 1766]
- - Cotton growing;
- - China;
- - Pictorial works
- - 一夾板；十四行二十二字. Fourteen lines, with twenty-two characters per line.
- - 函脊題「御題棉花圖」。無書名頁。無中縫。有乾隆三十年四月十一日太子太保直隸總督方觀承奏章、乾隆三十年七月十六日方觀承奏章、未署年日方觀承奏章。奏章後即棉花圖及文. 繪畫作者為方觀承，詩句亦方觀承作。考之未署年日奏章，可知當時京畿一帶盛産優質棉花，織布精美，本銷之外，復輸送黃河流域一帶，並且外銷朝鮮。 每圖各系一文二詩。文者簡述耕種織造之工藝技術，二詩一御製一方作，皆就圖而立說。每圖各有標題，可與《天工開物》相參.
- - 拓本。版匡高20.0公分，寬22.7公分。圖文俱為石刻。摺裝 1夾板.
- - 此本拓印極精，玲瓏浮凸，為上佳之本。書前夾有英文打字紙條：Dr. W. T. Swingle / U. S. Date Garden / Indio, Calif. / U.S.A. / a copy of Mien Hua Tu / a copy of Keng Chih Tu / From Metropolitan Library, Peking。知此本為 Dr. W.T. Swingle 得自北京圖書館者.
- 1 digital file (1 volume) : illustrations
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Fang, Guancheng, Emperor Of China Qianlong, and Chinese Rare Book Collection. Mian Hua Tu. [China: s.n., Qing Qianlong 30 nian, 1766] Image. https://www.loc.gov/item/2012402416/.
APA citation style:
Fang, G., Qianlong, E. O. C. & Chinese Rare Book Collection. (1766) Mian Hua Tu. [China: s.n., Qing Qianlong 30 nian] [Image] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2012402416/.
MLA citation style:
Fang, Guancheng, Emperor Of China Qianlong, and Chinese Rare Book Collection. Mian Hua Tu. [China: s.n., Qing Qianlong 30 nian, 1766] Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2012402416/>.