About this Item
- Howard Ashman papers, 1973-2010
- The papers chiefly consist of materials from his work, including his collaborations with composer Alan Menken, such as Little shop of horrors and the Disney animated musicals The little mermaid, Beauty and the beast, and Aladdin. The biographical materials include early writings and school project materials, address and date books, and memorial tributes. The correspondence consists chiefly of personal letters received by Ashman throughout his career, get-well wishes during his illness, and condolence letters to his sister Sarah after Ashman's death. The writings by others primarily contain plays or musicals in draft form, some of which are annotated. Materials include scripts, piano-conductor scores, business papers, photographs, scrapbooks, posters, clippings, notes, research materials, programs, promotional materials, writings, drawings, sketches, storyboards, and memorial tributes.
- Contributor Names
- Ashman, Howard.
- Subject Headings
- - Ashman, Howard
- - Ashman, Howard--Archives
- - Ashman, Howard--Correspondence
- - Lyricists--United States
- - Librettists--United States
- - Theatrical producers and directors--United States
- - Dramatists, American--20th century
- - Songs--Texts
- - Musicals--Librettos
- - Musicals--Scores
- - Motion picture music--Excerpts--Scores
- - Musicals
- - Musical films
- - Musicals--Production and direction
- - Musical theater--United States--20th century
- - Theater--United States
- - Animated films--United States
- - Motion pictures--United States
- - Menken, Alan
- - Gillespie, Sarah Ashman--Correspondence
- - Beauty and the beast (Motion picture : 1991)
- - Little mermaid (Motion picture)
- - Little shop of horrors (Musical play)
- - Little shop of horrors (Motion picture : 1986)
- - Aladdin (Motion picture)
- - Walt Disney Company
- - WPA Theater
- - Drama--20th century
- - Storyboards--United States
- - Organized into the following series: I. Project Files, 1973-2010, II. Biographical Materials, 1973-1993, III. Miscellany, 1981-1993.
- - Howard Ashman (b. May 17, 1950, in Baltimore, Md.; d. March 14, 1991, in New York City) was a lyricist, librettist, playwright and director.
- - Gift; Sarah Ashman Gillespie and William Lauch; 2008, 2011 and 2013.
- - Finding aid available in the Library of Congress Performing Arts Reading Room and at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.music/eadmus.mu013002
- - Howard Ashman Papers, Music Division, Library of Congress.
- 2250 items (31 boxes, 16 linear feet)
- Call Number/Physical Location
- ML31 .A75
- Library of Congress Music Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.music/perform.home
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Rights Advisory
- Certain restrictions to use or copying of materials may apply.
- Access Advisory
- Open to research.
- Not all materials in this collection may be readily accessible; please request accessibility information well in advance of your visit http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.music/perform.contact
- Online Format
- web page
- Howard Ashman (1950-1991) was a lyricist, librettist, playwright and director. The papers chiefly consist of materials from his work, including his collaborations with composer Alan Menken, such as Little Shop of Horrors and the Disney animated musicals The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Aladdin. Materials include scripts, piano-conductor scores, correspondence, business papers, photographs, scrapbooks, posters, clippings, notes, research materials, programs, promotional materials, writings, drawings, sketches, storyboards, address and date books, and memorial tributes.
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- 20th Century
- Aladdin (Motion Picture)
- Animated Films
- Appointment Books
- Ashman, Howard
- Beauty and the Beast (Motion Picture : 1991)
- Clippings (Information Artifacts)
- Dramatists, American
- Drawings (Visual Works)
- Financial Records
- Gillespie, Sarah Ashman
- Little Mermaid (Motion Picture)
- Little Shop of Horrors (Motion Picture : 1986)
- Little Shop of Horrors (Musical Play)
- Menken, Alan
- Motion Picture Music
- Motion Pictures
- Musical Films
- Musical Theater
- Photographic Prints
- Production and Direction
- Programs (Documents)
- Promotional Materials
- Scripts (Documents)
- Theatrical Producers and Directors
- United States
- Walt Disney Company
- WPA Theater
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Ashman, Howard. Howard Ashman papers, -2010. 1973. Manuscript/Mixed Material. http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.music/eadmus.mu013002.
APA citation style:
Ashman, H. (1973) Howard Ashman papers, -2010. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.music/eadmus.mu013002.
MLA citation style:
Ashman, Howard. Howard Ashman papers, -2010. 1973. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <hdl.loc.gov/loc.music/eadmus.mu013002>.