Maps [Sketch map of the Battle of Horseshoe Bend of Tallapoosa River, 27th March 1814.].
About this Item
- [Sketch map of the Battle of Horseshoe Bend of Tallapoosa River, 27th March 1814.].
- Contributor Names
- McEwen, Robert Houston.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Alabama--History--War of 1812--Maps
- - Horseshoe Bend, Battle of, Ala., 1814--Maps
- - United States--Alabama
- Manuscript maps
- - Relief shown pictorially.
- - Shows fortifications and troop positions.
- - Pen-and-ink, pencil, and watercolor.
- - Title devised by cataloger.
- - Handwritten annotation on recto: "I drew this description of the battle ground & made the memorandums on my hat the morning after the battle, the battle commenced about 10 o'clock A.M. & ended about sundown. I was regimental quarter master, to a regiment of six months volunteers from East Tennessee commanded by Col. John Brown. We left Kinston, E. Ten. the 23rd Jany 1814 for the Creek nation & returned to Kingston the 9 May 1814, the war with the Indians being at an end. My Col. being sick I had a high command on the day of battle [signed] R.H. McEwen."
- - Accompanied by presentation note signed Warren Coleman.  p. ; 29 cm.
- - Minimal level cataloging record.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- 1 ms. map ; 33 x 20 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3971.S42 1814 .M3
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Mcewen, Robert Houston. [Sketch map of the Battle of Horseshoe Bend of Tallapoosa River, 27th March 1814]. 1814. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2012588005/. (Accessed September 27, 2016.)
APA citation style:
McEwen, R. H. (1814) [Sketch map of the Battle of Horseshoe Bend of Tallapoosa River, 27th March 1814]. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2012588005/.
MLA citation style:
Mcewen, Robert Houston. [Sketch map of the Battle of Horseshoe Bend of Tallapoosa River, 27th March 1814]. 1814. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/2012588005/>.