Map [Sketch map of the Battle of Horseshoe Bend of Tallapoosa River, 27th March 1814]
About this Item
- [Sketch map of the Battle of Horseshoe Bend of Tallapoosa River, 27th March 1814]
- McEwen, R. H. (Robert Houston), 1790-
Created / Published
- [Alabama], 1814.
- - Alabama--History--War of 1812--Maps
- - Horseshoe Bend, Battle of, Ala., 1814--Maps
- - United States--Alabama
- Manuscript maps
- - Shows fortifications and troop positions.
- - Pen-and-ink. Mounted on cloth.
- - Title provided by cataloger.
- - "I drew this description of the battle ground & made the memorandums on my hat the morning after the battle, the battle commenced about 10 o'clock A.M. & ended about sundown. I was regimental quarter master, to a regiment of six months volunteers from East Tennessee commanded by Col. John Brown. We left Kinston, E. Ten. the 23rd Jany 1814 for the Creek nation & returned to Kingston the 9 May 1814, the war with the Indians being at an end. My Col. being sick I had a high command on the day of battle [signed] R.H. McEwen."
- - Accompanied by presentation letter signed by Warren Coleman.  page ; 29 cm.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Gift ; Warren Coleman ; May 26th, 1937.
- 1 manuscript map ; 33 x 20 cm
Call Number/Physical Location
- G3971.S42 1814 .M3
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Mcewen, R. H. Sketch map of the Battle of Horseshoe Bend of Tallapoosa River, 27th March. [Alabama, 1814] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2012588005/.
APA citation style:
McEwen, R. H. (1814) Sketch map of the Battle of Horseshoe Bend of Tallapoosa River, 27th March. [Alabama] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2012588005/.
MLA citation style:
Mcewen, R. H. Sketch map of the Battle of Horseshoe Bend of Tallapoosa River, 27th March. [Alabama, 1814] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2012588005/>.