Maps A map of the state of Virginia : reduced from the nine sheet map of the state in conformity to law
About this Item
- A map of the state of Virginia : reduced from the nine sheet map of the state in conformity to law
- Other Title
- Map of Virginia
- Contributor Names
- Böÿe, Herman.
- Tanner, Henry Schenck, 1786-1858.
- Dawson, E. B.
- Giles, William Branch, 1762-1830.
- Created / Published
- [Philadelphia : H.S. Tanner and E.B. Dawson, 1827]
- Subject Headings
- - Virginia--Maps
- - West Virginia--Maps
- - Maryland--Maps
- - Delaware--Maps
- - Washington (D.C.)--Maps
- - United States--Virginia
- - United States--West Virginia
- - United States--Maryland
- - United States--Delaware
- - United States--District of Columbia--Washington
- - Covers also Washington, D.C., West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, and southern Pennsylvania.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - "Entered according to Act of Congress, the 31st day of October 1827 by W.B. Giles, Governor of the State of Virginia."
- - Prime meridian: Washington.
- - Issued in blue slipcase designed for this map.
- - Annotations of place names on map area in ink (red and black) and pencil.
- - Handwritten annotations on pages  and  of cover: To Rev. C. Braxton Bryan, given me at the Council that met in Fredericksburg in May-21-24 1879, C.B.B; and This map was the propriety of John Randolph, Roanoke, Virginia.
- - Includes text and tables: References -- Deviation of the Magnetic Needle from the True Meridian -- Memoranda -- Geological Remarks --Situation, Extent, etc. -- Table of Population -- Statistical Table -- Geographical Positions -- Steam Boat Routes -- Altitudes of Mountains &c. in Virginia above Tide water.
- - In pencil on verso: 23598.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - LC copy imperfect: Discoloration, use-worn, missing small internal sections along cut-lines, stained, minor repairs along fold-lines and foxed.
- - Gift; William C. Wooldridge and Norfolk Southern Corporation; Jan. 19, 2013
- 1 map : hand col., mounted on cloth backing ; 75 x 122 cm., folded to 20 x 13 cm., in cover 21 x 14 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3880 1827 .B6
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Giles, William Branch
Tanner, Henry Schenck
District of Columbia
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Böÿe, Herman, Henry Schenck Tanner, E. B Dawson, and William Branch Giles. A map of the state of Virginia: reduced from the nine sheet map of the state in conformity to law. [Philadelphia: H.S. Tanner and E.B. Dawson, 1827] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2012589665/. (Accessed August 27, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Böÿe, H., Tanner, H. S., Dawson, E. B. & Giles, W. B. (1827) A map of the state of Virginia: reduced from the nine sheet map of the state in conformity to law. [Philadelphia: H.S. Tanner and E.B. Dawson] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2012589665/.
MLA citation style:
Böÿe, Herman, et al. A map of the state of Virginia: reduced from the nine sheet map of the state in conformity to law. [Philadelphia: H.S. Tanner and E.B. Dawson, 1827] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/2012589665/>.