Maps Map of Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania : from actual surveys
About this Item
- Map of Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania : from actual surveys
- Contributor Names
- Scott, Walter (Surveyor)
- Cox, W. J. (Surveyor)
- Scott, James D.
- S. Lewis & J.S. Hawley Civil Engineers.
- Created / Published
- Philadelphia : James D. Scott, 1864.
- Subject Headings
- - Real property--Pennsylvania--Schuylkill County--Maps
- - Landowners--Pennsylvania--Schuylkill County--Maps
- - Coal lands--Pennsylvania--Schuylkill County--Maps
- - Anthracite coal mines and mining--Pennsylvania--Schuylkill Sounty--Maps
- - Business enterprises--Pennsylvania--Schuylkill County--Directories
- - Schuylkill County (Pa.)--Maps
- - Ashland (Pa.)--Maps
- - Saint Clair (Schuylkill County, Pa.)--Maps
- - Port Carbon (Pa.)--Maps
- - Orwigsburg (Pa.)--Maps
- - Minersville (Pa.)--Maps
- - Cressona (Pa.)--Maps
- - Pottsville (Pa.)--Maps
- - Pine Grove (Schuylkill County, Pa.)--Maps
- - Tremont (Pa.)--Maps
- - Mahanoy City (Pa.)--Maps
- - United States--Pennsylvania--Schuylkill County
- - United States--Pennsylvania--Port Carbon
- - United States--Pennsylvania--Orwigsburg
- - United States--Pennsylvania--Minersville
- - United States--Pennsylvania--Cressona
- - United States--Pennsylvania--Pottsville
- - United States--Pennsylvania--Pine Grove (Schuylkill County)
- - United States--Pennsylvania--Tremont
- - United States--Pennsylvania--Mahanoy City
- Cadastral maps
- - Shows householders' names in rural areas, real-property tracts in mining townships, coal mining (anthracite) lands, and colliery locations; also shows lot lines, buildings, and owners' names in the borough insets.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - Hand col. to distinguish townships and boroughs.
- - "Entered according to Act of Congress in the year [words not printed] Scott in ... and for the Eastern District [of] Pennsylvania."
- - Each sheet thirded to enable folding.
- - Originally printed on 4 sheets (later conjoined).
- - LC copy 1 imperfect: Missing small pieces along sheet edges.
- - Includes borough business directories and ill of collieries/industries/hotels.
- - Borough insets: Ashland -- Borough of St. Clair -- Port Carbon -- Orwigsburg -- Minersville -- Cressona -- Pottsville / surveyed by S. Lewis C.E. -- Pinegrove -- Tremont -- Mahanoy City.
- - LC Land ownership maps, 793
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - 2 copies
- 1 map on 2 sheets : hand col., cloth backing ; 114 x 126 cm., sheets 71 x 161 cm. and 72 x 161 cm., folded to 71 x 56 cm. and 72 x 56 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3823.S3G46 1864 .S3
- G3823.S3G46 1864 .S3 Copy 2 On 6 sheets, no cloth backing, encapsulated, sheet 6 has dark gray watercolor annotation on verso: Schuylkill Co. (Pa.).
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
ContributorsCox, W. J.
S. Lewis & J.S. Hawley Civil Engineers
Scott, James D.
SubjectsAnthracite Coal Mines and Mining
Mahanoy City (pa.)
Pine Grove (schuylkill County)
Pine Grove (schuylkill County, Pa.)
Port Carbon (pa.)
Saint Clair (schuylkill County, Pa.)
Schuylkill County (pa.)
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Scott, Walter, W. J Cox, James D Scott, and S. Lewis & J.S. Hawley Civil Engineers. Map of Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania: from actual surveys. Philadelphia: James D. Scott, 1864. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2012592180/. (Accessed August 29, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Scott, W., Cox, W. J., Scott, J. D. & S. Lewis & J.S. Hawley Civil Engineers. (1864) Map of Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania: from actual surveys. Philadelphia: James D. Scott. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2012592180/.
MLA citation style:
Scott, Walter, et al. Map of Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania: from actual surveys. Philadelphia: James D. Scott, 1864. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/2012592180/>.