Maps Scott's map of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Map of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
About this Item
- Scott's map of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.
- Other Title
- Map of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
- Contributor Names
- Scott, Joshua.
- Tide Water Canal Company.
- Created / Published
- [Lancaster, Pa.? : Joshua Scott], 1842.
- Subject Headings
- - Lancaster County (Pa.)--Maps
- - Landowners--Pennsylvania--Lancaster County--Maps
- - Real property--Pennsylvania--Lancaster County--Maps
- - Election districts--Pennsylvania--Lancaster County--Maps
- - Canals--Maryland--Maps
- - Havre de Grace Region (Md.)--Maps
- - United States--Pennsylvania--Lancaster County
- - General-content county map also showing rural buildings with householders' names, lot lines in rural subdivisions/villages, and election districts.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - Differs from other 1842 ed. in not being hand col., not being shellacked, and in being oriented with north toward the upper right.
- - "Entered according to Act of Congress in the Year 1842 by Jos'a Scott, in the Clerks Office of the Eastern District of Pennsylvania."
- - Printed in north/south/east/west segments (sheets).
- - LC Land ownership maps, 761
- - Includes inset of "Tide water canal, Maryland" along Susquehanna River northward of Havre de Grace (Md.); also includes extra printed sections of map border designed to be cut away and repositioned when the 4 sheets are conjoined.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - LC copy imperfect: Torn at sheet edges, fold-lined, annotated "Map of Lancaster County" in black-ink script on verso.
- 1 map on 4 sheets : cloth backing ; 123 x 98 cm., sheets 71 x 52 cm. and 71 x 53 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3823.L3 1842 .S3
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Tide Water Canal Company
Havre De Grace Region
Havre De Grace Region (Md.)
Lancaster County (Pa.)
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Scott, Joshua, and Tide Water Canal Company. Scott's map of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. [Lancaster, Pa.?: Joshua Scott, 1842] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2012592190/. (Accessed February 20, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Scott, J. & Tide Water Canal Company. (1842) Scott's map of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. [Lancaster, Pa.?: Joshua Scott] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2012592190/.
MLA citation style:
Scott, Joshua, and Tide Water Canal Company. Scott's map of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. [Lancaster, Pa.?: Joshua Scott, 1842] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/2012592190/>.