Map Map of Morris County, New Jersey : from original surveys
About this Item
- Map of Morris County, New Jersey : from original surveys
- Lightfoot, Jesse (Surveyor)
- Geil, Samuel.
- Smith, Robert Pearsall, 1827-1898.
Created / Published
- Morristown [N.J.] : J.B. Shields, publisher, 1853.
- - Morris County (N.J.)--Maps
- - Landowners--New Jersey--Morris County--Maps
- - Landowners--New Jersey--Dover--Maps
- - Landowners--New Jersey--Morristown--Maps
- - Dover (N.J.)--Maps
- - Morristown (N.J.)--Maps
- - United States--New Jersey--Morris County
- - United States--New Jersey--Dover
- - United States--New Jersey--Morristown
- Wall maps
- - General-content county wall map showing rural buildings and householders' names.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - Hand colored to emphasize township boundaries.
- - Originally printed on 4 sheets (later conjoined to form single wall-map sheet).
- - "Entered according to the Act of Congress in the year 1853 by R.P. Smith in the ... Eastern District of Pennsylvania."
- - LC copy imperfect: Original conjoined sheet quartered, mounted on cloth backing to enable folding, torn, wrinkled.
- - LC Land ownership maps, 460
- - Includes text, 2 extremity insets, and illustrations of prominent buildings.
- - Two street-map insets showing buildings and occupants' names: Plan of Dover / surveyed & drawn by S. Geil -- Plan of Morristown, Morris County, New Jersey.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - 2 copies
- 1 map : color ; 93 x 128 cm, folded to 49 x 67 cm
Call Number/Physical Location
- G3813.M7 1853 .L5
- G3814.M7 1853 .L5 Copy 2 Laminated, on 2 sheets (100 x 66 cm and 100 x 68 cm), mounted on cloth backing, each sheet halved to enable folding, adhesive copyright label affixed to recto, sizable lower left portion of western sheet town away/missing (including Dover inset).
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Lightfoot, Jesse, Samuel Geil, and Robert Pearsall Smith. Map of Morris County, New Jersey: from original surveys. [Morristown N.J.: J.B. Shields, publisher, 1853] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2012593679/.
APA citation style:
Lightfoot, J., Geil, S. & Smith, R. P. (1853) Map of Morris County, New Jersey: from original surveys. [Morristown N.J.: J.B. Shields, publisher] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2012593679/.
MLA citation style:
Lightfoot, Jesse, Samuel Geil, and Robert Pearsall Smith. Map of Morris County, New Jersey: from original surveys. [Morristown N.J.: J.B. Shields, publisher, 1853] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2012593679/>.