Photo, Print, Drawing "Sorry -- it doesn't fit in with the official line"
Full online access to this resource is only available at the Library of Congress.
About this Item
- "Sorry -- it doesn't fit in with the official line"
- Contributor Names
- Block, Herbert, 1909-2001, artist
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Muller, H. J.--(Hermann Joseph),--1890-1967
- - Strauss, Lewis L
- - U.S. Atomic Energy Commission
- - Doors & doorways
- Format Headings
- Editorial cartoons--American.
- - Forms part of: Herbert L. Block collection (Library of Congress).
- 1 drawing.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- BLOCK, no. 3897 (BB size) [P&P]
- Source Collection
- Block, Herbert, 1909-2001. Herbert L. Block collection (Library of Congress)
- Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print
- Digital Id
- hlb 03897 //hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/hlb.03897
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Reproduction Number
- LC-DIG-hlb-03897 (digital file from original drawing)
- Rights Advisory
- Publication may be restricted. For information see "Herbert Block ("Herblock") Rights and Restrictions," http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/271_herb.html
- Online Format
- 1 drawing.
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
The Library of Congress has digitized various items from numerous Library of Congress collections to create the online collection Finding our Place in the Cosmos: From Galileo to Sagan and Beyond. As a result, the individual collection items may have varying rights and access restrictions. Whenever possible, the Library of Congress provides factual information about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. For further information with respect to a specific collection item, see the associated rights & access statement on the individualized web page displaying that specific collection item.
As a publicly supported institution, the Library generally does not own rights in its collections. Therefore, it does not charge permission fees for use of such material and generally does not grant or deny permission to publish or otherwise distribute material in its collections. Permission and possible fees may be required from the copyright owner independently of the Library. It is the researcher's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other use restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the Library's collections. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Researchers must make their own assessments of rights in light of their intended use.
If you have any more information about an item you've seen on our website or if you are the copyright owner and believe our website has not properly attributed your work to you or has used it without permission, we want to hear from you. Please contact [email protected] with your contact information and a link to the relevant content.
- Rights Advisory: Publication may be restricted. For information see "Herbert Block ("Herblock") Rights and Restrictions," http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/271_herb.html
- Reproduction Number: LC-DIG-hlb-03897 (digital file from original drawing)
- Call Number: BLOCK, no. 3897 (BB size) [P&P]
- Access Advisory: ---
If an image is displaying, you can download it yourself. (Some images display only as thumbnails outside the Library of Congress because of rights considerations, but you have access to larger size images on site.)
Alternatively, you can purchase copies of various types through Library of Congress Duplication Services.
- If a digital image is displaying: The qualities of the digital image partially depend on whether it was made from the original or an intermediate such as a copy negative or transparency. If the Reproduction Number field above includes a reproduction number that starts with LC-DIG..., then there is a digital image that was made directly from the original and is of sufficient resolution for most publication purposes.
If there is information listed in the Reproduction Number field above:
You can use the reproduction number to purchase a copy from Duplication Services. It will be
made from the source listed in the parentheses after the number.
If only black-and-white ("b&w") sources are listed and you desire a copy showing color or tint (assuming the original has any), you can generally purchase a quality copy of the original in color by citing the Call Number listed above and including the catalog record ("About This Item") with your request.
- If there is no information listed in the Reproduction Number field above: You can generally purchase a quality copy through Duplication Services. Cite the Call Number listed above and include the catalog record ("About This Item") with your request.
Price lists, contact information, and order forms are available on the Duplication Services Web site.
Access to Originals
Please use the following steps to determine whether you need to fill out a call slip in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room to view the original item(s). In some cases, a surrogate (substitute image) is available, often in the form of a digital image, a copy print, or microfilm.
Is the item digitized? (A thumbnail (small) image will be visible on the left.)
Yes, the item is digitized.
Please use the digital image in preference to requesting the original. All images can be
viewed at a large size when you are in any reading room at the Library of Congress. In some
cases, only thumbnail (small) images are available when you are outside the Library of
Congress because the item is rights restricted or has not been evaluated for rights
As a preservation measure, we generally do not serve an original item when a digital image is available. If you have a compelling reason to see the original, consult with a reference librarian. (Sometimes, the original is simply too fragile to serve. For example, glass and film photographic negatives are particularly subject to damage. They are also easier to see online where they are presented as positive images.)
- No, the item is not digitized. Please go to #2.
- Yes, the item is digitized. Please use the digital image in preference to requesting the original. All images can be viewed at a large size when you are in any reading room at the Library of Congress. In some cases, only thumbnail (small) images are available when you are outside the Library of Congress because the item is rights restricted or has not been evaluated for rights restrictions.
Do the Access Advisory or Call Number fields above indicate that a non-digital surrogate exists, such as microfilm or copy prints?
- Yes, another surrogate exists. Reference staff can direct you to this surrogate.
- No, another surrogate does not exist. Please go to #3.
- If you do not see a thumbnail image or a reference to another surrogate, please fill out a call slip in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room. In many cases, the originals can be served in a few minutes. Other materials require appointments for later the same day or in the future. Reference staff can advise you in both how to fill out a call slip and when the item can be served.
To contact Reference staff in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room, please use our Ask A Librarian service or call the reading room between 8:30 and 5:00 at 202-707-6394, and Press 3.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Block, Herbert, Artist. "Sorry -- it doesn't fit in with the official line". , 1955. [9-20] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2012633470/.
APA citation style:
Block, H. (1955) "Sorry -- it doesn't fit in with the official line". , 1955. [9-20] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2012633470/.
MLA citation style:
Block, Herbert, Artist. "Sorry -- it doesn't fit in with the official line". [9-20] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2012633470/>.