Map Volker- und Sprachenkarte des Vorderen Orient
About this Item
- Volker- und Sprachenkarte des Vorderen Orient
- "This map, produced in 1943 by the Geographic Service of the Auswärtiges Amt (Foreign Office) of Germany, shows the ethnic, linguistic, and religious makeup of the Middle East. Included are the Caucasus and other parts of the Soviet Union, Afghanistan, and parts of present-day Pakistan and India. The map and the explanatory text reflect the Nazi-era obsession with race and ethnicity. The long note at the top of the key states that the map "endeavors to show the Lebensraum [living space] of those oriental peoples located in Europe's area of interest." It notes that the region is for the most part dry and lightly populated; most of its peoples are settled, but that nomadism persists in the interior of the Arabian Peninsula and in parts of Central Asia. Colors are used to indicate the different ethnic and linguistic groups, which are divided into broad Indo-Germanic (Indo-European) and Turkic categories, the former indicated by the blue-toned, the latter by the red-toned colors. Religious affiliations are shown using the symbols identified at the bottom of the key. The inset map in the lower right shows population densities, which range from 0.1 percent per square kilometer to 50 per square kilometer." World Digital Library.
- Germany. Auswärtiges Amt. Geographischer Dienst.
Created / Published
- [Germany] : Deutlichen Ausland Inst., 
- - Linguistic geography--Maps
- - Afghanistan--Languages--Maps
- - Middle East--Languages--Maps
- - Afghanistan
- - Middle East
- - A relatively lengthy explanation in German begins by stating that this map "endeavors to show the coverage area of those oriental peoples, whose areas are part of Europe's interest..."
- - Inset: Bevolkerungsdichte des Vorderen Orient [population density].
- - Shows ethnicities, languages and beliefs of the peoples of the region.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- 1 map on 2 sheets : color ; 104 x 110 cm, sheets 111 x 63 cm
Call Number/Physical Location
- G7421.E3 1941 .G4
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Germany. Auswärtiges Amt. Geographischer Dienst. Volker- und Sprachenkarte des Vorderen Orient. [Germany: Deutlichen Ausland Inst, 1941] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2013586105/.
APA citation style:
Germany. Auswärtiges Amt. Geographischer Dienst. (1941) Volker- und Sprachenkarte des Vorderen Orient. [Germany: Deutlichen Ausland Inst] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2013586105/.
MLA citation style:
Germany. Auswärtiges Amt. Geographischer Dienst. Volker- und Sprachenkarte des Vorderen Orient. [Germany: Deutlichen Ausland Inst, 1941] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2013586105/>.