Map Chart of North America from Boston to the Strait of Florida and Havana : in 4 sheets
About this Item
- Chart of North America from Boston to the Strait of Florida and Havana : in 4 sheets
- Hobbs, J. S. (John Stratton)
- Wilson, Charles William, Sir, 1836-1905.
- Norie & Wilson.
Created / Published
- London, E.C. : Published by Cha's Wilson (late J.W. Norie & Wilson), 1863.
- - Nautical charts--Atlantic Coast (U.S.)
- - Atlantic States--Maps
- - Gulf Stream--Maps
- - United States--Atlantic Coast
- - United States--Atlantic States
- Nautical charts
- - Blue back coastal nautical chart extending from Havana to Richmond Island (Me.).
- - Relief shown by hachures. Depths shown by contours and soundings.
- - Hand col. to emphasize navigation beacons and markers (some with visibility circles).
- - Also shows outlines and center line of the Gulf Stream.
- - Principal title from segment marked "sheet 4" (left end).
- - Oriented with north toward the upper right.
- - Original 1859 publication note in lower margin: London E.C. Published April 16th 1859 by Charles Wilson (late J.W. Norie & Wilson) at the Navigation Warehouse & Naval Academy, no. 157 Leadenhall Street.
- - Originally printed on 4 sheets (now conjoined as single sheet and cloth hemmed): Sheets 1 & 2. Boston to the Chesapeake &c. [title at bottom]. Sheets 1, 2 & 3. Boston to Savannah and St. Augustine [title at top] -- Sheets 2, 3 & 4. Philadelphia to Havana -- Sheets 2 & 3. Philadelphia to St. Augustine -- Sheet 4 [no sheet title].
- - Includes text titled "Remarks on the Gulf Stream", notes, navigation beacon diagram, statistical table of the "Beacons of the Florida Reefs", and 11 regional insets (enlargements).
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- 1 map : hand col., mounted on blue back paper ; 83 x 272 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- G3709.31.P5 1863 .H6
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Hobbs, J. S, Charles William Wilson, and Norie & Wilson. Chart of North America from Boston to the Strait of Florida and Havana: in 4 sheets. London, E.C.: Published by Cha's Wilson late J.W. Norie & Wilson, 1863. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2013589069/.
APA citation style:
Hobbs, J. S., Wilson, C. W. & Norie & Wilson. (1863) Chart of North America from Boston to the Strait of Florida and Havana: in 4 sheets. London, E.C.: Published by Cha's Wilson late J.W. Norie & Wilson. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2013589069/.
MLA citation style:
Hobbs, J. S, Charles William Wilson, and Norie & Wilson. Chart of North America from Boston to the Strait of Florida and Havana: in 4 sheets. London, E.C.: Published by Cha's Wilson late J.W. Norie & Wilson, 1863. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2013589069/>.