Map Colton's Persia Arabia & co.
About this Item
- Colton's Persia Arabia & co.
- "This map of Persia (present-day Iran), the Arabian Peninsula, and neighboring countries originally appeared in the 1865 edition of Colton's General Atlas. It extends from a part of Egypt (the Nile Delta) in the west to Afghanistan in the east and reflects the general level of geographic knowledge of the Middle East in mid-19th century America. Coloring is used to indicate borders and certain provinces or settled areas. The map shows cities, mountains, and roads, and includes some notes on topographical features. J.H. Colton & Company was founded in New York City, most likely in 1831, by Joseph Hutchins Colton (1800-93), a Massachusetts native who had only a basic education and little or no formal training in geography or cartography. Colton built the firm into a major publisher of maps and atlases by purchasing the copyrights to and republishing other maps before it began creating its own maps and atlases. In the 1850s, the firm became the G.W. & C.B. Colton Company, after Colton brought his sons, George Woolworth Colton (1827-1901) and Charles B. Colton (1832-1916), into the business. As in this example, virtually all Colton maps were framed in decorative borders of intertwining vines, flowers, or geometric shapes." World Digital Library.
- J.H. Colton & Co.
- Colton, G. Woolworth (George Woolworth), 1827-1901.
Created / Published
- [New York] : G. Woolworth Colton, 
- - Middle East--Maps
- - Middle East
- - LC copy has slip attached: Colton's general atlas, G. Woolworth Colton, J. H. Colton, New York, 1863, Property of Andrew Arthur Benton, New York, N. Y.
- - LC copy stamped on: 626888.
- - Prime meridian: Washington, DC
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- 1 map : color ; 29 x 36 cm
Call Number/Physical Location
- G7420 1863 .J2
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
J.H. Colton & Co, and G. Woolworth Colton. Colton's Persia Arabia & co. [New York: G. Woolworth Colton, 1863] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2013593025/.
APA citation style:
J.H. Colton & Co & Colton, G. W. (1863) Colton's Persia Arabia & co. [New York: G. Woolworth Colton] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2013593025/.
MLA citation style:
J.H. Colton & Co, and G. Woolworth Colton. Colton's Persia Arabia & co. [New York: G. Woolworth Colton, 1863] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2013593025/>.