Map Map of New Castle County, Delaware : from original surveys
About this Item
- Map of New Castle County, Delaware : from original surveys
- Rea, Samuel M.
- Price, Jacob.
- Riddle, George Read, 1817-1867.
- Smith, Robert Pearsall, 1827-1898.
- Smith & Wistar.
- Rea & Price.
Created / Published
- Philadelphia : Smith & Wistar, 1849.
- - New Castle County (Del.)--Maps
- - Landowners--Delaware--New Castle County--Maps
- - School districts--Delaware--New Castle County--Maps
- - Wilmington (Del.)--Maps
- - United States--Delaware--New Castle County
- - United States--Delaware--Wilmington
- - General-content county map showing hundreds (townships), school districts, rural buildings, and householders' names; Wilmington inset shows built-up areas.
- - Hand col. to emphasize city/hundred boundaries.
- - Relief shown by hachures. Depths shown by soundings.
- - "Entered according to act of Congress in the year 1848 by Robert P. Smith in the ... Eastern District of Pennsylvania."
- - Originally printed on 4 sheets (later conjoined on cloth backing).
- - LC copy imperfect: Brittle, darkened, missing small sections at edges.
- - Includes note, statistical table, and ill.
- - Inset: Plan of the city of Wilmington / compiled from surveys by G.R. Riddle C.E. 1847, reduction by Rea and Price.
- - LC Land ownership maps, 70
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - 2 copies
- 1 map : hand col., cloth backing ; 120 x 82 cm., folded to 65 x 47 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- G3833.N4 1849 .R4
- G3833.N4 1849 .R4 Copy 2 Not hand col. (black-and-white), has adhesive labels affixed, trimmed, portions of northeastern sheet cut away.
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Rea, Samuel M, Jacob Price, George Read Riddle, Robert Pearsall Smith, Smith & Wistar, and Rea & Price. Map of New Castle County, Delaware: from original surveys. Philadelphia: Smith & Wistar, 1849. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2013593084/.
APA citation style:
Rea, S. M., Price, J., Riddle, G. R., Smith, R. P., Smith & Wistar & Rea & Price. (1849) Map of New Castle County, Delaware: from original surveys. Philadelphia: Smith & Wistar. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2013593084/.
MLA citation style:
Rea, Samuel M, et al. Map of New Castle County, Delaware: from original surveys. Philadelphia: Smith & Wistar, 1849. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2013593084/>.