Maps [Collection of nine images including astronomical instruments, celestial charts, and a world map].
About this Item
- [Collection of nine images including astronomical instruments, celestial charts, and a world map].
- Contributor Names
- Ferguson, James, 1710-1776.
- Created / Published
- [no earlier than 1769]
- Le globe celeste -- Sisteme de Coprenic, de Ticho Brahe, et de Descartes -- Mappe Monde ou description generale du globe Terrestre / suivant Mr. de Lisle de l'Academie royale des sciences -- Machina ingenioso artifice extructa, ope et industria Bernardi a Cloese restituta, Europae admiratio -- Sphaera artificialis, seu armillaris -- La sphere artificielle -- De Hemel Globe -- [Handwritten title, covering article and two diagrams] A new method of constructing sun-dials for any given latitude without the assistance of dialing scales, or logarithmic calculations / by James Ferguson F.R.S.
- Subject Headings
- - Ptolemy,--active 2nd century
- - Copernicus, Nicolaus,--1473-1543
- - Brahe, Tycho,--1546-1601
- - Descartes, René,--1596-1650
- - Sundials
- - Sundials--Design and construction
- - Sundials--Early works to 1800
- - Armillary spheres--Early works to 1800
- - Celestial sphere--Early works to 1800
- - Spherical astronomy
- - Universe
- Celestial charts
- Armillary spheres
- - Title devised by cataloger.
- - English, French and Latin.
- - James Ferguson article from Gent. Mag. March 1769.
- - Nine printed images and two panels of printed text mounted on paper within hand drawn frames colored yellow. From various sources, unidentified except for the Ferguson article.
- - Mounted on cloth and stamped in blue ink in lower left margin: 312A.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- 9 maps on 1 sheet : hand colored ; 35 x 20 cm or smaller, sheet 56 x 66 cm
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3190 1769 .C6
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
SubjectsActive 2nd Century
Design and Construction
Early Works to 1800
Articles and Essays with this item:
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress has digitized various items from numerous Library of Congress collections to create the online collection Finding our Place in the Cosmos: From Galileo to Sagan and Beyond. As a result, the individual collection items may have varying rights and access restrictions. Whenever possible, the Library of Congress provides factual information about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. For further information with respect to a specific collection item, see the associated rights & access statement on the individualized web page displaying that specific collection item.
As a publicly supported institution, the Library generally does not own rights in its collections. Therefore, it does not charge permission fees for use of such material and generally does not grant or deny permission to publish or otherwise distribute material in its collections. Permission and possible fees may be required from the copyright owner independently of the Library. It is the researcher's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other use restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the Library's collections. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Researchers must make their own assessments of rights in light of their intended use.
If you have any more information about an item you've seen on our website or if you are the copyright owner and believe our website has not properly attributed your work to you or has used it without permission, we want to hear from you. Please contact [email protected] with your contact information and a link to the relevant content.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Ferguson, James. [Collection of Nine Images Including Astronomical Instruments, Celestial Charts, and a World Map]. [no Earlier Than, 1769] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2013593153/. (Accessed August 29, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Ferguson, J. (1769) [Collection of nine images including astronomical instruments, celestial charts, and a world map]. [no Earlier Than] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2013593153/.
MLA citation style:
Ferguson, James. [Collection of Nine Images Including Astronomical Instruments, Celestial Charts, and a World Map]. [no Earlier Than, 1769] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/2013593153/>.