Maps Map of Allegany Co., N.Y. : from actual surveys
About this Item
- Map of Allegany Co., N.Y. : from actual surveys
- Contributor Names
- Bechler, Gustavus R.
- Smith, Robert Pearsall, 1827-1898.
- Gillette, Matthews & Co.
- Created / Published
- Philadelphia : Published by Gillette, Matthews & Co., 1856.
- Subject Headings
- - Allegany County (N.Y.)--Maps
- - Landowners--New York (State)--Allegany County--Maps
- - Cities and towns--New York (State)--Allegany County--Maps
- - Villages--New York (State)--Allegany County--Maps
- - Wellsville (N.Y.)--Maps
- - United States--New York (State)--Allegany County
- - General-content county map showing rural buildings and householders' names.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - LC copy hand colored to emphasize town (township) boundaries and areas of village/city insets.
- - "Entered according to act of Congress in the year 1856 by Robert Pearsall Smith in the ... Eastern District of Pennsylvania."
- - LC copy imperfect: Trimmed on all outer edges, sectioned to 6 panels to enable folding.
- - LC Land ownership maps, 474
- - Includes county statistical table, local business directories (some indexed), 26 small-town/village insets (including Wellsville), and illustrations of prominent buildings.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - 2 copies
- 1 map : mounted on cloth backing ; 141 x 135 cm, folded to 74 x 46 cm
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3803.A5 1856 .B4
- G3803.A5 1856 .B4 Copy 2 On 4 sheets, not on cloth backing, hand colored, fold-lined, taped, trimmed at outer edges.
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
ContributorsBechler, Gustavus R.
Gillette, Matthews & Co.
Smith, Robert Pearsall
Allegany County (n.y.)
Cities and Towns
New York (state)
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Bechler, Gustavus R, Robert Pearsall Smith, and Matthews & Co Gillette. Map of Allegany Co., N.Y.: from actual surveys. Philadelphia: Published by Gillette, Matthews & Co, 1856. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2013593215/. (Accessed October 01, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Bechler, G. R., Smith, R. P. & Gillette, M. &. C. (1856) Map of Allegany Co., N.Y.: from actual surveys. Philadelphia: Published by Gillette, Matthews & Co. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2013593215/.
MLA citation style:
Bechler, Gustavus R, Robert Pearsall Smith, and Matthews & Co Gillette. Map of Allegany Co., N.Y.: from actual surveys. Philadelphia: Published by Gillette, Matthews & Co, 1856. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/2013593215/>.